Stampede Start up issue

jwcaldwell28

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hey everyone,

This is my first smoker and first time using it, so trying to figure out if this is normal or not.

I got my RT-590 last week and did the initial burn in, which went as expected. This morning I was planning do actually use it for the first time and when I turned it on and set it to 225°, there was an overwhelming amount of smoke at about 80°, so much so that there was a bang inside the grill that blew the lid of the grill open and there was a decent sized fire coming from the fire pot.

I turned it off and the small fire remained for about 20 minutes. Can someone please help and let me know if this is normal or not? I understand a small fire in the fire pot isn’t out of the ordinary, but the large bang that caused the lid to open seemed alarming. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

This is my first smoker and first time using it, so trying to figure out if this is normal or not.

I got my RT-590 last week and did the initial burn in, which went as expected. This morning I was planning do actually use it for the first time and when I turned it on and set it to 225°, there was an overwhelming amount of smoke at about 80°, so much so that there was a bang inside the grill that blew the lid of the grill open and there was a decent sized fire coming from the fire pot.

I turned it off and the small fire remained for about 20 minutes. Can someone please help and let me know if this is normal or not? I understand a small fire in the fire pot isn’t out of the ordinary, but the large bang that caused the lid to open seemed alarming. Thank you!
It happens and will get your attention for sure!

Take a look at the igniter it should be slightly extended into the fire pot. Vacuum fire pot, add a handful of pellets, try again.

Oh, welcome aboard!

It happens and will get your attention for sure!

Take a look at the igniter it should be slightly extended into the fire pot. Vacuum fire pot, add a handful of pellets, try again.

Oh, welcome aboard!
Thank you, will give that a try once the pellets cool!

Thank you, will give that a try once the pellets cool!
Tried to vacuum out the fire pot and threw some fresh pellets in to fire it up again. Set it to 225 again and it immediately began overheating by over 50°. Any other thoughts? It’s brand new, should I be contacting recteq?

Tried to vacuum out the fire pot and threw some fresh pellets in to fire it up again. Set it to 225 again and it immediately began overheating by over 50°. Any other thoughts? It’s brand new, should I be contacting recteq?
There's a computer that attempts to learn how much pellets to dump in the firepot to keep the set temp so it may still be learning. I'd leave it run for a while and see if the temps stabilizes back down to the set temp.

Last edited:
Overshooting on startup isn’t unusual. Give it 15 minutes to stabilize and you should be good to go.

As far as the bang, as others have mentioned check the igniter rod. This seems to be an issue of poor quality control for RecTeq. I’ve adjusted every one of my grills.

Also, if it's not clear by now, start the grill with the Lid open. Once you've seen the first amount of smoke and you can hear the fan running, then close the lid.

I have a 700/Bull, so not sure if the "basics" are the same for the 590. I've never had a "smoke bang" on start up and never want to have one. Starting the grill in the manner that I've stated above has never failed me.

Looks like you're getting good advice on the igniter rod, so I'll abstain there, nothing to add.

Please report back and close the loop, feedback is always helpful to all. :)

I noticed my ignition recently taking a bit longer, unbolted the pot and lifted out to adjust the igniter......all is good again. I also always start with the lid open, rarely use the app to turn on or off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewDualfire1200
Back