Smokey smoked turkey!

Pete590

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
My last turkey I cooked at 300-325 and it came out good but not a lot of smoke taste. This time I smoked it at 225 for 3 hrs and at 300 for 1 1/2 hrs till it was up to temp. Definitely more smoke flavor!

thanks for watching! Feel free to comment and subscribe! Thanks for your support!

After smoking a turkey a few years ago, my family no longer wants it any other way. I would highly recommend brine. I usually brine for 2-3 days with some herbs and lots of fruit. Never been dry.

My last turkey I cooked at 300-325 and it came out good but not a lot of smoke taste. This time I smoked it at 225 for 3 hrs and at 300 for 1 1/2 hrs till it was up to temp. Definitely more smoke flavor!

thanks for watching! Feel free to comment and subscribe! Thanks for your support!
Hey Pete! What temp did you finally pull it off at?

I have a 590. Do you think you could do 2 for thanksgiving dinner on that? Enough room? And did you check final temp in the breast and thigh? Thank you!
Definitely would fit 2 turkeys, that was a 12 pounder and there was plenty of room for a second. Yes I use a thermopen to check the temp in the breast, thighs and other areas, I use the probe as a guide, but do multiple checks with the thermopen
Thanks

Definitely would fit 2 turkeys, that was a 12 pounder and there was plenty of room for a second. Yes I use a thermopen to check the temp in the breast, thighs and other areas, I use the probe as a guide, but do multiple checks with the thermopen
Thanks
Awesome! Thank you. I guess I’ll be the one to cook the turkey’s this year. First time in 5yrs that I’m not on duty. Hopefully I can impress them.

Thanks
Happy to be of help!

What temp and time frame were you working with? Thanks!

I only do 9/10 lb breasts now, but at 275F it typically takes between 3.5 to 4 hours to hit 165 internal. I then let rest for about 20 minutes before slicing. I have injected and brined several and beyond having a bit more flavor than un-brined or not injected, I have noticed ZERO difference in juiciness or tenderness. I do a light rub of avocado oil, and then coat liberally with Cavenders Greek seasoning........ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.

Spatchcocked is the only way for us now
Avocado Oil with Ground Garlic, Salt and Pepper
Smoke for 3.5 hours at 275
Spray or brush with Avo Oil every half hour
Crank the Temp to 450 for the last half hour
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Spatchcock Turkey275 - 450 for the last 30+/- mins3.5 - 4.0 hoursB/165 T/170Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, SaltSpray or brush with Avo Oil on the half hour

Thanksgiving 2021 Spatchcock Turkey.jpeg

Spatchcocked is the only way for us now
Avocado Oil with Ground Garlic, Salt and Pepper
Smoke for 3.5 hours at 275
Spray or brush with Avo Oil every half hour
Crank the Temp to 450 for the last half hour
Spatchcock Turkey275 - 450 for the last 30+/- mins3.5 - 4.0 hoursB/165 T/170Avo Oil w/ Garlic, Pepper, SaltSpray or brush with Avo Oil on the half hour

View attachment 16886
Whats the weight of your bird?

Thanks

Whats the weight of your bird?

Thanks
Momma seems to think it was 12 pounds

We eat the majority of the Bird, but pull the Breasts, remove the Skin and Double Smoke them:
July 5th Double Smoked Turkey Brests.jpeg

July 5th Double Smoked Turkey Brests 1.jpeg

July 5th Double Smoked Turkey Brests 2.jpeg

Double Smoke Turkey Breast2502.5 - 3 hours140Avo Oil, Garlic, Pepper and Salt BlendAdd Smoke Tube

I use recipes similar to others in this thread. Most definitely a minimum of 24 hours for a wet brine is preferred. Some mods I make include the following:
- Inject with a mix of sage, fennel, clarified butter and pepper
-Full cook at 230F, remove to rest while the Bull hits 475, spray or wet with purified butter and put it on the smoker to crisp up the skin rotating as it crisps
-Remove and lightly foil for 20 minutes and serve.

I have an RT-590 and am wondering if it's large enough to smoke a 22 lb. turkey. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I’ve done a 14 lb and there was plenty of room to spare. If its too tall you co spatchcock it. or do 2 12 lbers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back