New grill with smoker box

garmp

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. RT-300
I have a RT300 Mini & love it. Just that's it's a bit small. Had to squeeze in the ham today. (too tall)
Anyway, I really want the smoker box offered with the 700, but that grill is just too big for just my wife & I. The 590 would be more the size we would use. Is there any talk about RecTeq coming out with a smaller than the 700 grill with a smoker box?

thanks

I have a RT300 Mini & love it. Just that's it's a bit small. Had to squeeze in the ham today. (too tall)
Anyway, I really want the smoker box offered with the 700, but that grill is just too big for just my wife & I. The 590 would be more the size we would use. Is there any talk about RecTeq coming out with a smaller than the 700 grill with a smoker box?

thanks
I haven't heard of any new models coming out myself, but that doesn't mean there isn't.

Maybe reach out to Recteq and see if they'll share with ya! :D

Thanks Mike. Just did that and am waiting to hear.

I phoned RecTeq to inquire about the smoker box with the RT700. To my chagrin the temp of the box is only 40 to 50 degrees less than the main grill, so the rep told me. I do quite a bit of cold smoking and that is not cold smoking. I's have cheese all over the drip pan. Any experience with this unit and thoughts/recommendations?

I phoned RecTeq to inquire about the smoker box with the RT700. To my chagrin the temp of the box is only 40 to 50 degrees less than the main grill, so the rep told me. I do quite a bit of cold smoking and that is not cold smoking. I's have cheese all over the drip pan. Any experience with this unit and thoughts/recommendations?
I have the smoke box and do cheese. I put a pan of ice in there with only a smoke tube and it keeps it around 65º-70º but I do it at night. Works great.

@garmp I do cheese in the main chamber of the 700 (don’t have the smoke box) with a smoke tube and the fan on test mode. So far it has worked great.
B5CD2F63-D054-40F4-860C-09857F3DC211.jpeg

thats a smart trick waterboy. i wouldn’t have thought to use test mode to turn the fan on. now i wana smoke some cheese to add to my summer sausages! thanks for that tip

Well, the difference is dependent on what the set temp is, and the top rack is hotter than the bottom rack. But assuming the grill temp is set to low, then 40-50 degrees sounds about right. It’s not a cold smoker, but as mentioned running a smoke tube with no fire in the grill works great.

I have the smoke box as well. I've done a lot of cheese in it, running the main burner. But I have to put a tray of ice in there to keep the temperatures down. I end up going thru a few trays of ice to smoke cheddar. I was going to just use the smoke tube without the main burner for the next batch of cheese.

I had given some thought to disconnecting the box from the side of the main chamber and adding some dryer ducting to cool the smoke before it entered the box. Now, I think I might insulate the box to maintain temperature close to the main chamber and use it to add capacity to the main chamber.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back