Bull Smoked Whole Chicken

JimmyC1219

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I did a whole chicken this weekend for my first real cook (After seasoning of course with some pork and bacon a couple times). I was worried about getting a crispy skin on the chicken since that is one of my favorite parts, but it came out awesome. I figured I would share a basic outline as to what i did since it looks likes some folks have struggled to get a nice crispy skin.

The key i think is a dry brine over night. I spatchcocked the bird, patted it dry, and salted the bird generously. Placed it in my fridge overnight (about 12-14 hours before the cook). Then, take the bird out about 2 hours before you cook to temper it (bring to room temp).

After that, i dried it off again and then very lightly applied some olive oil and then a simple rub (Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper, and thyme....no salt because we already brined it)

IMG_20200530_180748_01.jpg

Put it on the RT-700 at 250F until temp in the breast hit 130F (About 2-2.5 hours). Then raised the temp to 400F to finish it off (Another hour or so). This is what it looked like right before I raised the temp to 400F. The skin was already nice and crispy!

IMG_20200530_161721.jpg

The chicken came out so juicy and tender, fall of the bones and the skin was so good.

IMG_20200530_170516.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to share that. I will for sure be doing that again, and again, and again haha.

Cheers!

I did a whole chicken this weekend for my first real cook (After seasoning of course with some pork and bacon a couple times). I was worried about getting a crispy skin on the chicken since that is one of my favorite parts, but it came out awesome. I figured I would share a basic outline as to what i did since it looks likes some folks have struggled to get a nice crispy skin.

The key i think is a dry brine over night. I spatchcocked the bird, patted it dry, and salted the bird generously. Placed it in my fridge overnight (about 12-14 hours before the cook). Then, take the bird out about 2 hours before you cook to temper it (bring to room temp).

After that, i dried it off again and then very lightly applied some olive oil and then a simple rub (Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper, and thyme....no salt because we already brined it)

View attachment 4491

Put it on the RT-700 at 250F until temp in the breast hit 130F (About 2-2.5 hours). Then raised the temp to 400F to finish it off (Another hour or so). This is what it looked like right before I raised the temp to 400F. The skin was already nice and crispy!

View attachment 4493

The chicken came out so juicy and tender, fall of the bones and the skin was so good.

View attachment 4492

Anyway, just wanted to share that. I will for sure be doing that again, and again, and again haha.

Cheers!
Thanks for sharing. Crispy skin on chicken is a challenge. Looks like you nailed it. Well done. I've added it to my recipes to try. ??

View attachment 4491

View attachment 4493

View attachment 4492

Cheers!
Jimmy, what was your final temp when you took it off? Thanks. This looks like a great recipe and I'm trying it this week.

Jimmy, what was your final temp when you took it off? Thanks. This looks like a great recipe and I'm trying it this week.
Sorry that I failed to include that important piece of info haha. I pulled it when the breast hit 160F. Then let it rest for 15-20 min before carving it up.

Let me know how it turns out for you!

I have a 6 3/4 lb whole chicken that I am going to do beer can style. I notice everyone seems to put the temp probe in the breast rather than between the leg and thigh. I put the probe in the breast of two cornish hens last week and cooked to and internal temp of 165. When we cut the hens open the leg/thigh area was not cooked enough. I am thinking about putting the probe between the leg and thigh of this almost 7 lb beast but..not sure. Suggestions?

I have a 6 3/4 lb whole chicken that I am going to do beer can style. I notice everyone seems to put the temp probe in the breast rather than between the leg and thigh. I put the probe in the breast of two cornish hens last week and cooked to and internal temp of 165. When we cut the hens open the leg/thigh area was not cooked enough. I am thinking about putting the probe between the leg and thigh of this almost 7 lb beast but..not sure. Suggestions?
The birds I cooked we're about 6 lbs each also. I think it depends on how you cook it. Whole or do you butterfly it (spatchcock). I think if you butterfly it you have a better shot at getting dark and light meat done in a similar time.

Those are just my thoughts and not backed by training...just experience. And let me be honest, I never took the temp of the legs. Just ate them all and lived to tell the story so I am guessing it was cooked enough haha.

I have never been a whole chicken fan, but my family certainly is. I am along the lines with of JimmyC. Spatchcock the chicken gives you a better chance for both the white and dark meat to finish at the same time. I have also become a BIG fan of brining all my chicken and pork before cooking. I usually do a wet brine for 4-6 hours prior to cooking, rub with what flavors sound good that day, then on the pit. 180-190 for about 90 minutes for the smoke then crank to 375-425 to complete the cook and get the skin to bite through consistency.

I have never been a whole chicken fan, but my family certainly is. I am along the lines with of JimmyC. Spatchcock the chicken gives you a better chance for both the white and dark meat to finish at the same time. I have also become a BIG fan of brining all my chicken and pork before cooking. I usually do a wet brine for 4-6 hours prior to cooking, rub with what flavors sound good that day, then on the pit. 180-190 for about 90 minutes for the smoke then crank to 375-425 to complete the cook and get the skin to bite through consistency.
I like the way the JimmyCs spatchcocked chicken looks. I think I will go that route. Thanks guys!

In reply to probe placement, when I do beer can chicken I think the inner thigh is fine for smaller birds but on bigger birds I do in the breast.

I've started spatchcocking and don't think I'll look back. The legs and breast cook pretty evenly that way. I still need to work on prep & technique to improve the skin. Latest one I cooked was better but still not quite what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_20200615_203116.jpg
    IMG_20200615_203116.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 120
I used to do almost all of my whole chickens as beer can. Cooks illustrated ran an interesting piece about beer can chicken and flavor absorption. They were not big fans. Mine were always ok. Not sure that the materials in the "can" really confused the chicken. Now I spatchcock whole chickens and get good flavor and good skin. To each his own ??

I used to do almost all of my whole chickens as beer can. Cooks illustrated ran an interesting piece about beer can chicken and flavor absorption. They were not big fans. Mine were always ok. Not sure that the materials in the "can" really confused the chicken. Now I spatchcock whole chickens and get good flavor and good skin. To each his own ??
Just don't spatchcock the beer can - could get messy.

You forced me into this - The recipe for Popcorn Turkey, - fill cavity of turkey with unpopped popcorn. Bake at 375 until the popcorn blows the a** off the turkey. Dinner is served. ???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back