Cooling time: 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 32 mins
Course: Appetizers
Servings: 12 eggs
Author: Susie Bulloch (heygrillhey.com)

Ingredients
  • 12 eggs
Instructions
  1. Preheat your smoker to 325 degrees F using indirect heat.

2. Place the eggs directly on the grill grates, close the lid, and cook for 30 minutes.

3. Remove the cooked eggs and place immediately into an ice bath. Chill completely.

4. Reduce the heat on your smoker to 175 degrees F.

5. Peel the eggs and return them to the grill. Smoke for at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 hour if you want more smoke flavor.

6. Eat the eggs as is, season with BBQ seasoning, or make into smoked deviled eggs.

I've only tried eggs once (I'll see if the SO will shared her fantastic deviled eggs recipe) - I did them @ 225 for 2 hours with apple in the hopper and a smoke tube of apple going. 1.5 hours would have problem been enough and I think I'd turn them after 30 minutes (the yolks settled to the bottom and made it hard to get good deviled eggs out of some of the whites) What surprised me the most is that the yolks actually took on a ton of smoke flavor while the whites didn't. I might try the cook / peel / smoke method if I have time next time.

So I did some eggs over the weekend. I followed your recipe for the first set. The second set, I did in the instant pot (5,5,5), peeled, and then put in the smoker for 30 minutes at 180°. Both batches came out the same. GREAT FLAVOR! Never expected smoked eggs to taste that good. We also made some deviled eggs garnished with smoked paprika. I'll never go back.
IMG_20180811_211559_489.jpg

I might have to try a set of cooking then smoking and compare that to just smoking them for 1:30-2:00. I don't think they'll be different enough to go through the extra step. I'll let you know if we get around to that. Thanks for your version though - they are really good and I don't think we'll make deviled eggs any other way again either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back