Smoked chicken wings then fried

ajimithing

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
I am trying to figure out the best way to make crispy fried chicken wings that are first smoked. I have tried smoking at temps low, high, and everything in between.

The best wings I make are currently to fry at a low temp (200-250) for 25ish mins, remove, heat oil to 400, and fry for another minute or two. Super crispy skin, moist and tender inside.

I would really like to achieve a similar result with smoking being the first step - for that smoked flavor. I have an RT700. I've tried using rubs, tried brining, tried putting them in naked...I just cannot achieve the same result as the low and slow fry first and then the flash fry.

Help please?

I know this is a subject that has been discussed in this forum, but it may take a little digging to uncover the thread. One of those things that I’ve been wanting to try myself but haven’t yet. I seem to recall someone mentioning that they smoked their wings for like 30 minutes on Hi Smoke (180*) and then deep fried from there. I expect that you’ll have no trouble finding “Guinea pigs” to sample the results as you experiment!

Please keep us updated and post pictures of your results as you go. Good luck!!

Just my two cents.... I agree that the only reliable way to get true crispy wings is to fry them. I have smoked then fried them many times with great success.
IMG_0816.jpeg

Crispy like this? Where even after saucing they are crispy? Smoked and finished on my 700. We do it this way after my SIL and I cooked and conversed about it. He has a 380 but stayed at 400. We found a trick and can do it at a lower temp. However I do love some fried ones.

IMG_1282.jpeg

I tried to smoke thighs at 400 and the skin just didn't get crispy at all. Any thoughts on how to get crispier skin? The next day I tried to reheat in a toaster oven that has an air fry setting, but that didn't really help either.

Here is the method I use. Boil wings in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the water from each wing with paper towels. Brush with olive oil and season with your preferred rub. Place in smoker for 1 hour at lowest temp. Spray with Pam and finish at 400* in the air fryer for 18 minutes, shaking and re spraying with Pam half way through. Remove from air fryer and do a light sprinkle of Wing dust. Or, you can skip the air fryer and fry them as usual in oil. Crispy skin and smoke flavor every time.

Last edited:
We used to smoke then deep fry them. Good results. We use the kamado Joe and joetisserie now though. Once it’s up to temp it’s wings on and forget until they’re ready. Much easier than flipping wings and dealing with hot oil. If all I had was a rec teq I would smoke then fry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back