Anyone smoked then air fried chicken wings?

So, I feel like my biggest issue with smoking whole chicken or even just the party wings (wing and flats separated), is the SKIN. Yes, I have read people jack the temp up at end or smoked the entire time at 3-375 and achieve crispy skin. Yes, I own a Bullseye and can finish them super hot on there, BUT the top 5 wing spots around me ALL smoke and then finish their wings by deep frying. Every one of them, because in reality this is the key to the smoked flavor that can be achieved deep at lower temps, then the crisp skin.

Now, to the title of the thread. I received a new Vortex Air Fryer by the company that makes insta-pot. Does anyone achieve anything similar to the smoke then deep fry texture by going low and slow on the smoke, then finish in air fryer? If so, for party wings, what temp and time on smoker and then same for air fryer?
That’s how we do them now. Only takes 5 minutes at 400 to crisp them and then I toss them in wing sauce that I’ve heated on the smoker. Perfect every time.

I have one of these as well, and I also love it. But I have only done turkeys in mine. Is there a way to do small parts, like just the wings?
Mine has a basket that you can load up and just lower it in but I use some metal skewers just slightly wider than the basket and that way you can make layer’s for better air flow by threading the skewers through the basket and lay your meat on each layer. What it does best is a standing ribeye. It will seer the outside and seal in the juice’s and you end up with a little char on the outside and juicy inside. This creates the best flavored ribeyes I have ever ate.

Best solution I have found is not to smoke the danged things and deep fry them instead. Always a criispy skin and they taste better, too. Well, fat content may not be so great, but who's counting?

I always air fry my wings because I love the finished product. I have not made wings on my new grill yet, but I assume if you got the timing right you would get some nice crispy wings that are not dried out. I wonder if it might even be easier to cold smoke some wings (smoke tube) for an hour or 2 and then transfer them into the air fryer to actually cook them. Think I will try need to try a few ways to form an opinion.

I have cooked pork belly brisket style and skin on thighs low and slow and finished both in my air fryer to get wonderfully crispy skin. The Pork belly brisket was especially good. I have never tried it but I have seen others say that dry brineing the bird allows you to get crispy skin much easier when smoking.

While "cold smoking" some cheese this past week, I found I didn't like the smoke quality burning just the smoke tube. Granted, I didn't have the fan on, but I cracked open the lid on one corner with a shim and placed the smoke tube right there. It was still white nasty smoke. Even running the RT700 on Lo produces better smoke quality.

So, I feel like my biggest issue with smoking whole chicken or even just the party wings (wing and flats separated), is the SKIN. Yes, I have read people jack the temp up at end or smoked the entire time at 3-375 and achieve crispy skin. Yes, I own a Bullseye and can finish them super hot on there, BUT the top 5 wing spots around me ALL smoke and then finish their wings by deep frying. Every one of them, because in reality this is the key to the smoked flavor that can be achieved deep at lower temps, then the crisp skin.

Now, to the title of the thread. I received a new Vortex Air Fryer by the company that makes insta-pot. Does anyone achieve anything similar to the smoke then deep fry texture by going low and slow on the smoke, then finish in air fryer? If so, for party wings, what temp and time on smoker and then same for air fryer?
I'll try it and let ya know! Great idea for wings....not sure why I haven't thought of that. 👍🏼👍🏼 I have done whole chickens and had no issues. Skin finishes perfectly.

Great question and it’s something I always felt was missing from my wings as well. I’ve tried for that crispy texture numerous times and just never could get it right. A few weeks ago a friend mentioned the 0-400 method. So I tried it last night. I had 12 wings, used Meat Church Holy Voodoo and cut them on the cold smoker and cracked it to 400. Pulled them off at 400 and put them in our air fryer for 4 minutes. Best wings I’ve cooked.

My secret ingredient is baking powder.

•Preheat recteq to 250F.
•Thaw (if frozen) and pat wings dry.
•Using 1-tbsp baking powder per 2 lbs. chicken wings, mix baking powder into whatever seasoning you’re using. I mix 1-tbsp baking powder with 3-tbsp dry rub. You can add more seating after tossing the wings but you don’t want to dilute the baking powder mixture before tossing them.
•Toss wings in baking powder/seasoning mixture and smoke for 30-minutes.
•After 30-minutes turn smoker up to 425F and continue cooking another 45-minutes or until crispy.

Cook time varies depending on the size of wings you’re using. I use jumbo wings from GFS.

Poultry should be smoked at no less than 250 and preferably at 275, it's all about how quickly the meat gets up to a safe temp, and the higher temps obviously produce a better skin. But to the OP's question, yeah I always finish my smoked wings in the air fryer, the crispy skin rivals deep fried without the grease and guilt......doing some today matter of fact.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back