Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
As a bit of background info, the stock diffuser on my Bull warped badly when it was new, and it does rub the bottom of the drip pan. Although it only raises the pan slightly, it’s always bugged me just the same. I’ve researched the Smoke Daddy diffuser here and other places, but I’ve never hit the Buy button their site. Now the SD is on sale, $90 with free shipping, and I’m closer to making the plunge.

Oh, I’m also a woodworker working with a lot of woods good for smoking, and I could use the scraps to give me a wider range of flavors than what I can get with pellets alone in a smoke tube. I’m not unhappy with the amount of smoke I get from the tube, so I’m not looking to chub the SD full to try and make a stick burner out of it, just wanting to get a variety of flavors from a wood source that the scraps are free.

So a question for those who have the SD diffuser, any complaints or compromises that you have had to make to get the results you want? I read somewhere, probably here, where one owner bought thin fire bricks to raise the diffuser up to the same height as the stock RT diffuser, but that’s the only time I’ve heard that mentioned. Would appreciate hearing y’all’s experiences with the Smoke Daddy.

As a bit of background info, the stock diffuser on my Bull warped badly when it was new, and it does rub the bottom of the drip pan. Although it only raises the pan slightly, it’s always bugged me just the same. I’ve researched the Smoke Daddy diffuser here and other places, but I’ve never hit the Buy button their site. Now the SD is on sale, $90 with free shipping, and I’m closer to making the plunge.

Oh, I’m also a woodworker working with a lot of woods good for smoking, and I could use the scraps to give me a wider range of flavors than what I can get with pellets alone in a smoke tube. I’m not unhappy with the amount of smoke I get from the tube, so I’m not looking to chub the SD full to try and make a stick burner out of it, just wanting to get a variety of flavors from a wood source that the scraps are free.

So a question for those who have the SD diffuser, any complaints or compromises that you have had to make to get the results you want? I read somewhere, probably here, where one owner bought thin fire bricks to raise the diffuser up to the same height as the stock RT diffuser, but that’s the only time I’ve heard that mentioned. Would appreciate hearing y’all’s experiences with the Smoke Daddy.
I don't have the smoke daddy so I'm no help there but I would give RecTec a call about the warped stock heat deflector.

The deflector in my stampede started warping pretty bad so I took that as an opportunity to upgrade to the smoke daddy.

I’m still experimenting with it and learning. As for the results I think it helps a little. It is built like a tank compared to the stock diffuser so that might be worth the $90 alone.

Can’t speak for how it cooks on the bull but I have to prop the lid open for the first couple hours to get the temp down.

I think the key is finding the right wood. 2.5” x 2.5” logs seem to work best but you can also use chunks.

I did at the time (last summer), and they asked me to watch it and contact them again if it got worse. They also indicated that there had not been any changes in the design or materials, so a replacement might very well do the same thing. So it’s a known issue to them, and I really didn’t want to make a big deal out of getting it replaced just to have it happen again. That would not have made me happy. For what the Bull costs, I’d have thought they would have changed it so it wouldn’t be a problem.

I think the key is finding the right wood. 2.5” x 2.5” logs seem to work best but you can also use chunks.
i can cut the wood scraps to any size I want on the table saw, so I have a lot of flexibility there. I had even tried cutting strips to put inside the smoke tube to burn along with pellets, but it didn’t get hot enough to burn. Thanks!

I have it and love it. Much heavier gauge and lots more smoke.

I didn't raise it...although I may to get it to where original sat. Sits about 3/4 - 1" lower than stock. Just be sure it sits level from front to back.

Also, I lowered the feed rate. It helped stabilize temps which got a little hot sometimes.

Why does the SD diffuser run hotter? sorry for the simple question, but guess I don’t understand how the diffuser changes things? Thanks

The SD has two chambers for adding wood sticks or chunks, and the wood burns from the heat from the pellets burning. It’s the additional fuel from the wood burning that adds to the heat.

I bought the SD and what a bad idea. changer where the heat comes from, and the way my 700 cooks also temp much higher when wood is added... Finley had a welder friend cut big holes down both sides for correct air flow and use no wood now..Wasted $90.00 for me.. and yes the plate should be heaver gauge...The correct air flow out both sides places the heat 1/3 and 1/3 from both ends...

I bought the SD and what a bad idea. changer where the heat comes from, and the way my 700 cooks also temp much higher when wood is added... Finley had a welder friend cut big holes down both sides for correct air flow and use no wood now..Wasted $90.00 for me.. and yes the plate should be heaver gauge...The correct air flow out both sides places the heat 1/3 and 1/3 from both ends...
There really not designed correctly for a grill that uses a rear facing auger fire pot assembly, personally I think putting your favorite flavored wood chips on top of the standard RecTec deflector plate that sits over the fire pot would work just as well.

There really not designed correctly for a grill that uses a rear facing auger fire pot assembly, personally I think putting your favorite flavored wood chips on top of the standard RecTec deflector plate that sits over the fire pot would work just as well.
Why would it matter which way the auger faces?

Not different for the Bull, and don’t know how it could be different. But why does it matter? Rear auger or side auger, all diffusers straddle the auger chute and the fire pot is in the center.

Not different for the Bull, and don’t know how it could be different. But why does it matter? Rear auger or side auger, all diffusers straddle the auger chute and the fire pot is in the center.
You want the heat to come out the areas facing the end caps on the barrel, which it does though the mesh areas to put the wood in but the front of it is wide open facing the front of the grills barrel in the RT700 Bulls application, I'm thinking that's going to cause a major hot area front and center.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back