Bull Skin on chicken inedible rubber.

mqqn

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi Folks -

Yesterday I did my second batch of chicken, this time thighs.
I did the exact same process that I do on my Masterbuilt electric smoker:

Trim rinse dry the thighs.
Marinate overnight in teriyaki sauce
Season with dry rub
Smoke on 225 for 3.5 to 4 hours or until internal temp is 165.

I could tell when I checked the temp at 2.5 hours that the skin was already rubber.

The same thing happened to the wings I did last week - although I tried to cook them at a higher temp.

The meat is juicy and tasty - but the skin is like inner-tube rubber.

Any thoughts?

I believe this is due to the convection feature of the grill - I wish I could turn that off.

best

mqqn

You'll never get crispy skin at that temp. Let me rephrase that, I've never been able to at that temp in the many years I've been smoking.. Others may have..

I always crank the heat last few minutes untill internal temp hits the temp I am looking for or I just move them to the broiler...

I was never able to get chicken skin that I was really happy with on my MES. Tried the baking soda on the skin but wasn't that much of an improvement. I usually resorted to throwing wings on the grill for a few minutes.

Chicken I've done so far on my Bull was finished on high heat on the sear grates or on the back side of the sear grates which would probably be a option for thighs. In general I've been fairly happy with the chicken skin using this method.

I was never able to get chicken skin that I was really happy with on my MES. Tried the baking soda on the skin but wasn't that much of an improvement. I usually resorted to throwing wings on the grill for a few minutes.

Chicken I've done so far on my Bull was finished on high heat on the sear grates or on the back side of the sear grates which would probably be a option for thighs. In general I've been fairly happy with the chicken skin using this method.
You want to use baking powder or cornstarch not baking soda. Poultry needs to be cooked at higher temperatures 225 initially is as low as I would go. I usually start them at 250 for about 1 hour and 400 until done to internal temperature of 165 to 170.

Thank you for the replies.

I will try the 250 for 1 hour and then 400 til done, then broil them for the char/crisp.

I know it will take some work to figure out the nuances.

best

mqqn

Thank you for the replies.

I will try the 250 for 1 hour and then 400 til done, then broil them for the char/crisp.

I know it will take some work to figure out the nuances.

best

mqqn
I've never had to broil them in a regular over after they came off the grill using the 400 degree final cooking temps and removing them at the 165 to 170 internal temp. Spraying them with Duck Fat before helps to get the crispy skin too.

Agree with @mqqn. Once cooked at the 400+ the oven/broiler is not needed....

I just mentioned the broiler as that's what I do to finish them off.

I have had pretty good luck with chicken wings on the Bull. We get a real nice crispy bite through skin. I’m not sure if the same would apply to thighs, but the wings have been a hit with friends.

My process is:
-Get a Gallon ziplock bag
-Put 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch in the bag ( I use as little as I can get away with so it depends on how much chicken I have)
-Add salt/pepper and any additional seasoning to the bag along with the corn starch. Shake everything up so it’s well mixed
-Pat the chicken and especially the skin as dry as possible on all wings
-once dry put the chicken pieces in the gallon bag and shake until the chicken is evenly coated in the dry mix.
-immediately place on the smoker

-I start at 180 for an hour to get max smoke flavor. I see others suggest a higher starting point. They may be correct, I have not had any issues but it is fair what they pointed out.
-After an hour turn the heat up to 350 for around 45 min or until the skin is crispy and the chicken pieces are 185.

The results have been consistent and the chicken is very juicy. 185-190 internal temp I’ve found is the sweet spot for juicy dark meat..From what I’ve read the collagen breaks down more at that temp which keeps the meat tender and juicy.

Again this is chicken wings. We have a pack of drummies and thighs that we are going to try it on as well. Not sure if it will work or not, but I figured I would share.

I am a 375 guy. Until the internal hits 160.
A spatchcock for 1.5 hours every time.

juicy and crispy.
For some reason fresh chickens don’t crisp up for me.

I've never been able to get anything but rubber skin cooking on any piece of equipment at 225F. The sear plates are definitely a great accessory for crisper skin. As much as can be achieved in a pellet grill anyway, I'm quite happy with the results.
Poultry needs to be cooked at higher temperatures 225 initially is as low as I would go. I usually start them at 250 for about 1 hour and 400 until done to internal temperature of 165 to 170.
I agree. I cook my chicken at 425F on the regular grill grates and 500F plus on FULL with the sear plates. The only draw back with the high temp. cooking methods of any kind is the lack of smoke flavor from the higher cooking temps. For my next batch of chicken I'm going to try 60 minutes at LO for heavier smoke then pull them and crank it up to 425F and put them on the regular grill grates to see how that works.

400° for me on whole chickens. I also moved my whole chickens over to the Bullseye and toss in a big wood chunk or two in the back on top of the deflector plate. Unmatched smoke flavor compared to my Kamado Joe, which just puts out bitter smoke. The skins are really crisp, and the meat juices darn near drip. These chickens are very memorable long afterwards.

Thanks for all the tips - I have a long way to go to learn.

The biggest issue right now is that there are no good rib or briskets at all to be found.

I'll be trying more chicken probably tomorrow.

Thanks again and enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend and thank a service man/woman.

best

mqqn

I have had pretty good luck with chicken wings on the Bull. We get a real nice crispy bite through skin. I’m not sure if the same would apply to thighs, but the wings have been a hit with friends.

My process is:
-Put 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch in the bag ( I use as little as I can get away with so it depends on how much chicken I have)
-Add salt/pepper and any additional seasoning to the bag along with the corn starch. Shake everything up so it’s well mixed
-once dry put the chicken pieces in the gallon bag and shake until the chicken is evenly coated in the dry mix.

-I start at 180 for an hour to get max smoke flavor. I see others suggest a higher starting point. They may be correct, I have not had any issues but it is fair what they pointed out.
-After an hour turn the heat up to 350 for around 45 min or until the skin is crispy and the chicken pieces are 185.

The results have been consistent and the chicken is very juicy. 185-190 internal temp I’ve found is the sweet spot for juicy dark meat..From what I’ve read the collagen breaks down more at that temp which keeps the meat tender and juicy.

Again this is chicken wings. We have a pack of drummies and thighs that we are going to try it on as well. Not sure if it will work or not, but I figured I would share.
I've done a spachcock chicken the same way using temp probe. 180 for about 1 to 1.5 hrs. turn up 330 finish

I've never been able to get anything but rubber skin cooking on any piece of equipment at 225F. The sear plates are definitely a great accessory for crisper skin. As much as can be achieved in a pellet grill anyway, I'm quite happy with the results.

I agree. I cook my chicken at 425F on the regular grill grates and 500F plus on FULL with the sear plates. The only draw back with the high temp. cooking methods of any kind is the lack of smoke flavor from the higher cooking temps. For my next batch of chicken I'm going to try 60 minutes at LO for heavier smoke then pull them and crank it up to 425F and put them on the regular grill grates to see how that works.

I smoke at 250 - 275 for 45mins - 60mins. Then crank it up to 425 for 20-30mins. Leave them on and let them ride the temperature up from the smoke temp to the higher temp. No need to remove. Skin comes out crispy and they have a great smoke flavor.

Don't feel so bad...crispy chicken skin on the smoker has eluded me too. BUT...there's always tomorrow! Literally for me, gonna try it again.

Hi Folks -

Yesterday I did my second batch of chicken, this time thighs.

Trim rinse dry the thighs.
Marinate overnight in teriyaki sauce
Season with dry rub
Smoke on 225 for 3.5 to 4 hours or until internal temp is 165.

I could tell when I checked the temp at 2.5 hours that the skin was already rubber.

The same thing happened to the wings I did last week - although I tried to cook them at a higher temp.

The meat is juicy and tasty - but the skin is like inner-tube rubber.

Any thoughts?

I believe this is due to the convection feature of the grill - I wish I could turn that off.

best

mqqn
I have had the same rubbery skin problems and agree that you have to jack up the temperature. I just did two whole chickens, and ran the temperature at 375 for the entire three hour cooking time. The skin was perfect. At that high of a temperature, I like to use pure hickory to get decent smoke flavor.

My process is:

@Mac2bdr -
I did this yesterday with 8 thighs - the meat was juicy and tender but once again I got rubber skin.
I did like the corn starch coating, and this was the first time I used the temp probe, which was very cool.

I am still thinking it is the convection fan that is causing the rubbery skin on chicken.

The quest goes on! We are still eating good chicken, just can't get that skin the way I would like.

It is amazing to be able to just set the grill to a temp and then check it on my phone - I do love that.

Thanks for the tips and help - onward and upward!

best

mqqn

You don’t need to low and slow chicken on the rectec for it to be the juiciest chicken you ever had. I cook mine at 375 so it has a good skin and is super moist. I use a heavy D smoke daddy for the smoke at that temp. It gives all The smoke you could ever want.

@Mac2bdr -
I did this yesterday with 8 thighs - the meat was juicy and tender but once again I got rubber skin.
I did like the corn starch coating, and this was the first time I used the temp probe, which was very cool.

I am still thinking it is the convection fan that is causing the rubbery skin on chicken.

The quest goes on! We are still eating good chicken, just can't get that skin the way I would like.

It is amazing to be able to just set the grill to a temp and then check it on my phone - I do love that.

Thanks for the tips and help - onward and upward!

best

mqqn

Interesting, thanks for letting me know.
I wonder why it works so well on wings and not the thighs???
Either way thank you for the feedback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back