Bull Bite through chicken skin

Plumberguy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Did a beer can chicken last weekend, and it was great, but very little of it had that bite through skin. Most slid off when cutting it. Did it at 290-300 for about 1.75 hours.

Anyone have ideas on how to acheive that bite through skin, even if not "crispy"? Appreciate any thoughts.
bc chicken.jpg

Last edited:
Did a beer can chicken last weekend, and it was great, but very little of it had that bite through skin. Most slid off when cutting it. Did it at 290-300 for about 1.75 hours.

Anyone have ideas on how to acheive that bit through skin, even if not "crispy"? Appreciate any thoughts.View attachment 10128
I kind of like the 350 degree cook. Play around with temps and see what you prefer.

Topic was just on Recteq YouTube yesterday. 1st they recommend spatchcock vs beer can because it will cook more evenly.

2nd if you want smoke flavor, start no lower than 275 for part of the cook. Then crank it up to 450 to crisp the skin and finish to desired internal temp.

Edit: added video. The beer can question is around 23:50

Lunch Break

Last edited:
First off... Great looking Chicken 👍
My beer can chicken starts out with me using paper towels to soak up any moisture on the bird. This also includes under the skin. I set my RT590 to 325 and light my smoke tube. While waiting for everything to get to temp I apply my rub and set my chicken on a baking sheet with a raised rack. 45 minutes into the cook I melt unsalted butter and drizzle over the chicken. I'll repeat this once more 90 minutes into the cook. Depending on the internal temp and feel of the skin I'll crank up the temp another 50 degrees. Usually my bird is done after 2 hours. Last 10 to 15 minutes before I take it off I'll apply sauce depending on the recipe. Usually the skin is mostly crisp but almost always bite through. This is what works for me and so far no complaints from the wife or my friends/family
Here is my Honey Cajun Beer Can Chicken I did this past Tuesday.
Screenshots_2021-05-04-18-44-14.png
Screenshot_20210507-224706~2.png

Last edited:
First off... Great looking Chicken 👍
My beer can chicken starts out with me using paper towels to soak up any moisture on the bird. This also includes under the skin. I set my RT590 to 325 and light my smoke tube. While waiting for everything to get to temp I apply my rub and set my chicken on a baking sheet with a raised rack. 45 minutes into the cook I melt unsalted butter and drizzle over the chicken. I'll repeat this once more 90 minutes into the cook. Depending on the internal temp and feel of the skin I'll crank up the temp another 50 degrees. Usually my bird is done after 2 hours. Last 10 to 15 minutes before I take it off I'll apply sauce depending on the recipe. Usually the skin is mostly crisp but almost always bite through. This is what works for me and so far no complaints from the wife or my friends/family
Here is my Honey Cajun Beer Can Chicken I did this past Tuesday.View attachment 10131
That’s a pin-up bc chicken, wow. Do you inject? Because I did inject a bit, watching one of the videos. I may skip that next time.

Topic was just on Recteq YouTube yesterday. 1st they recommend spatchcock vs beer can because it will cook more evenly.

2nd if you want smoke flavor, start no lower than 275 for part of the cook. Then crank it up to 450 to crisp the skin and finish to desired internal temp.

Edit: added video. The beer can question is around 23:50

Lunch Break
The spatchcock method works well. Get a good pair of shears or yellow sheet metal shears, the job is easy.
Good luck!

Another trick is to let the chicken hang out uncovered in the fridge for a few hours. This dries some of the moisture out of the skin and helps it render crisp instead of retaining moisture. Most recipes that target crispy chicken skin will call to wash and dry the chicken, hit it with salt (only) and go in the fridge for an few hours or up to overnight. Then before you put it on, hit it with EVOO or AvoO and your rub(s). Then roast/smoke at at least 325 until 165 breast/185 thigh joint

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back