Searing kit for 590

Bbqallday80

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Wanted to ask if anyone uses searing kit for the 590? Can it get hot enough for smash burgers or chicken? How hard is the clean up after using them? That’s a big one cause with my heart problems I’m looking for as easy as possible. Appreciate y’all.

I replaced the right stainless 590 grate with the GrillGrate "sear kit" (rails running north/south). It worked and fit just fine. Nice grill marks on chicken. Flip to the flat side for smash burgers. GG surface temp can be ~100 degrees higher than set temperature.

I pulled the GGs from the 590 when I got the Bullseye with it's own GG kit. 590 back to lower temp cooks and BT380 for the higher temp cooks.

I replaced the right stainless 590 grate with the GrillGrate "sear kit" (rails running north/south). It worked and fit just fine. Nice grill marks on chicken. Flip to the flat side for smash burgers. GG surface temp can be ~100 degrees higher than set temperature.

I pulled the GGs from the 590 when I got the Bullseye with it's own GG kit. 590 back to lower temp cooks and BT380 for the higher temp cooks.
So it sounds like you can do some decent searing on the 590. Did you get your sear kits from Rec Tec? How do you clean them? Thanks

I used GrillGrates on my 590 can get from RT or directly from GG. They work well and you have a flat side or grill side. I have not used them on my 590 since I bought my Bullsye. However I do still use them on the Bullseye.

Last edited:
I seasoned my with an onion before my first use like the instructions said. The only cleaning I do is scrapping them with a wire grill brush after they have heated up. I think I washed them in the sink once early on. They don’t look pretty but, then again, neither do I. :)

After I clean them, I spritz them with a little avocado oil and throw on the steaks or chops. Like many here, I use the flat side for more sear area.

So it sounds like you can do some decent searing on the 590. Did you get your sear kits from Rec Tec? How do you clean them? Thanks
I ordered directly from GrillGrates https://www.grillgrate.com/ Search for the recteq 590. They sell cleaning accessories. I use a paint scraper on the flat side and GGs "valley brush" and their commercial brush on the rail side.

I just got the sear kit and rubbed the onion and some grape seed oil on. What’s a good first cook? What meat would y’all recommend and how high do you turn up your grill when using the sear kit. Appreciate the help as always

Personally I seem to only get a decent sear if I run my grill at full.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back