Stampede Searing Kit, worth it?

Sherkaun

Had great success being a new Smoker and moving from Treager. Is the Searing kit worth it? How is it used? I'd like to try Ribeye or New York Strip as a first try. Any suggestions are welcomed

The sear kit is a nice option, but I don't use it frequently. It's certainly good for searing, but I also use it for things like chicken skewers, vegetables, shrimp, etc. I even tried this a few times:

IMG_0834.jpeg

I use my Weber Summit gaser with grillgrates (aka sear kit) which just so happens to use the same length ones as the 590. I have enough grillgrate plates to cover then entire grilling surface and mostly use flat side up for doing seasoned/oiled diced potatoes and veggies along with whatever protein that came off the 590 after smoking for a reverse sear. Not very impressed with the 590 for searing with the grillgrates so mostly use it as a smoker.

Overall I'd say no, they aren't really. Nice idea and I maybe should use them more. I would if they'd fit on my small gas grill. As it is, they mostly occupy space in our pantry.

I use my Weber Summit gaser with grillgrates (aka sear kit) which just so happens to use the same length ones as the 590. I have enough grillgrate plates to cover then entire grilling surface and mostly use flat side up for doing seasoned/oiled diced potatoes and veggies along with whatever protein that came off the 590 after smoking for a reverse sear. Not very impressed with the 590 for searing with the grillgrates so mostly use it as a smoker.
I quickly realized I didn't like grilling on my 590. Bought a small Permasteel gasser.

I guess it depends on how often you want seared food. Used it last night on some T-bones.
Ribs today - no sear.
Chicken tomorrow - no sear.
But I like it and use it often, as well as the griddle. Still haven't used my other grills since last June.

Griddle is another piece just taking up space. Too damn big to try and wash if don't have a slop sink

I think the utility of the grill grates is very subjective. I‘ve used them for many purposes (e.g, sear low and slow smoked burgers, put grill marks on veggies, make crusty burgers (grate side down), and the like) and they are good for their design, especially if you only have a singe device. However, for those of us with options (i.e. gasser with sear station), they don’t answer the mail. I have a Lynx Professional with Trident Burners and it is capable of hitting 1100F in ~7 minutes which far exceeds the recommended temps for the grates without fear of a melt-down. I also have a separate Lynx Pro Sear Burner that achieves similar performance and is dedicated to this purpose. I also appreciate anyone that uses them across their entire grill. My devices have a single burner to full (6) burner range from ~250-1100F unaided. When I’m too lazy to get the gasser out, I can use a Big Green Egg or even fire up the Weber Kettle to achieve high searing temps which can be done in parallel to the smoker’s cooking. In summary, if you need it, they are handy but may be limited or postpone your final product if you are waiting for the RT to hit a desired temperature. If you time it right when your Butts, Briskets, or other proteins are resting then use the grates to add char and flavor. They can be fantastic as long as you have the right amount of pellets available for the entire cook.

:unsure: How do you fit the blackstone in the slop sink? And how does that take up less space?

I keep the grates and griddle in the grill, remove them when firing up if it's not their turn to be used. Everything gets shoved back into the grill right after I'm done cooking for the day.

You don't get all the crap sticking to Blackstone with cover on. When I fire it up on high, surface temp has reached 633°. Little water spritzed and scraper and can be cooking in 15 mins. Just what I think is much easier than the big cumbersome griddle.

I've used mine a handful of times. It does a killer job on burgers and steaks, but the rest of the time it just sits on my shelf underneath

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back