Bullseye Scary second cook 380x

sfarazkazmi

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-B380X Bullseye Deluxe
Alright so I made that rookie mistake!!

Did a burnin and after that made a pizza at 400 yesterday. All well and good. Didn’t know its not that simple to turn off this thing. I just pulled the plug and ate my pizza.

Today, i wanted to make some food and started it at 400. After sometime, i noticed the temp is still at 80. Nothing was going on so I opened the lid and it was heating. Waited some more and the temp was still at 80 but there was excessive smoke and fire in the pot. Got scared and turned it off. Again made the mistake to pull the plug.

Then i realized its not going down fast enough so I turned it on and then turned it off properly. It did its 300 seconds and 30 sec auger. I pulled the plug after that. There was still a lot of smoke.. like a lot. I kept waiting and took about 20-30 min for things to cool down.

This is my first pellet grill and I felt a little helpless to contain the smoke and fire. With my charcoal kettle, i know how to suffocate it. Pellet grill made me nervous.

Things that i did not understand is that why the temp was stuck at 80.

Also kinda miss an external gauge to see the temp after turning off the grill.

I decided in the end to not cook today. Tomorrow is another day! I plan to dump ash and try again.

Your temp was was mostly likely stuck because your fire pot overfilled with pellets so it is not igniting cleanly and just smoldering

Vacuum out your pot and while RT says it's ok to turn it off at high heat, it's better to bring it down into the 200-250 range for ten or so minutes first.

I typically clean out my fire pot after a long or big cook or a few smaller cooks.

Last edited:
What’s the fire pot look like now? You might have Blackburn in the auger tube from not letting it shutdown correctly. I’d empty the fire pot, if the pellets in the auger look burnt run the auger in test mode till you get clean pellets. Clean out the pot again, put in a small handful of pellets (I try to put them on the igniter side, close everything up and try it out.

When shutting down from a high heat cook like your pizza, most of us drop the temp to something like 225, once the temp gets there we turn it off.

I’m guessing a bullseye works the same as a smoker.

They are pretty easy to turn off-just hit the power button. The grill will take care of things from there. You should never pull the plug to turn the grill off because that doesn’t allow the grill to run the shutdown process.
There is a method behind the shut down process to smoulder out the burning pellets and clear the auger of potentially smoudering pellets.

There is a method behind the shut down process to smoulder out the burning pellets and clear the auger of potentially smoudering pellets.
Adding fuel to the fire will extinguish it 🤔

They are pretty easy to turn off-just hit the power button. The grill will take care of things from there. You should never pull the plug to turn the grill off because that doesn’t allow the grill to run the shutdown process.
Lesson learnt!

Your temp was was mostly likely stuck because your fire pot overfilled with pellets so it is not igniting cleanly and just smoldering

Vacuum out your pot and while RT says it's ok to turn it off at high heat, it's better to bring it down into the 200-250 range for ten or so minutes first.

I typically clean out my fire pot after a long or big cook or a few smaller cooks.
Yes at one point I peaked after that initial smoke and there were a lot of pellets in the pot.

What’s the fire pot look like now? You might have Blackburn in the auger tube from not letting it shutdown correctly. I’d empty the fire pot, if the pellets in the auger look burnt run the auger in test mode till you get clean pellets. Clean out the pot again, put in a small handful of pellets (I try to put them on the igniter side, close everything up and try it out.

When shutting down from a high heat cook like your pizza, most of us drop the temp to something like 225, once the temp gets there we turn it off.

I’m guessing a bullseye works the same as a smoker.
I took a look this morning and found a lot of ash. Cleaned the pot and the grill and primed the pot with few pellets for next cook for tonight.

I took a look this morning and found a lot of ash. Cleaned the pot and the grill and primed the pot with few pellets for next cook for tonight.
Always start it with the door open. Once it ignites and you see the heavy smoke clear and hear the burn pot roaring, you can close the lid. If you leave the door closed and it overfills the fire pot and ignites, it could cause a smoke explosion. So, leaving the door open during start-up assures that there will never be a smoke explosion.

I can't say for certain with the 380, but for the other models you only prime if your auger has been emptied. No need for priming if you cleaned your pot. As the auger will feed fresh pellets during startup.

I always put a small hand full of pellets in the pot when I clean out all the ash, and pretty sure that RT recommends that as well. The prime sequence doesn't last very long on start up, consider that the controller also dumps a few pellets in as well during shutdown "whether we agree with that or not".

I always put a small hand full of pellets in the pot when I clean out all the ash, and pretty sure that RT recommends that as well. The prime sequence doesn't last very long on start up, consider that the controller also dumps a few pellets in as well during shutdown "whether we agree with that or not".
👆👆 right, you are! 👆👆

When I vacuum out the firepot, I always add enough pellets back in to make contact with the ignitor so when you start up, it lights off quickly. That takes a lot less time than the auger feeding enough pellets into an empty firepot to get lit off.

When I vacuum out the firepot, I always add enough pellets back in to make contact with the ignitor so when you start up, it lights off quickly. That takes a lot less time than the auger feeding enough pellets into an empty firepot to get lit off.
So is it best the pellets should be touching the ignitor?

Never let the pellets touch the igniter, it could start a fire. 🥸
Only YOU can prevent pellet fires!
1694534665231.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back