Found a use for the second shelf

PRC

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I have always wanted to place the meat off of the bottom grate just to get better smoke profile under the meat. The top rack does not have enough headroom for most cuts of meat (other than pork ribs), so i got two fire bricks and set the top rack on them which raises the rack up two inches. I use a round metal file to cut a grove into the brick where the middle rod sets in so the rack sits flat (took about one minute each to cut the grove). I might cut the bricks in half, long ways, to gain a couple more inches of exposed grill. Cooked plate ribs on it yesterday and it worked out great.

BAC2BE51-AFAA-41EE-9D47-2778936157E6.jpeg

ACFCEFD3-7D81-44AC-A52F-04E6DE496AE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response. You just cracked my code on why I didn’t upgrade to the 1250. RT’s large shelf or 2 of their small shelves have been my go to solution for years. I also use an old grill’s rack that clears the light assembly as my backup. They all work perfectly.

I have always wanted to place the meat off of the bottom grate just to get better smoke profile under the meat. The top rack does not have enough headroom for most cuts of meat (other than pork ribs), so i got two fire bricks and set the top rack on them which raises the rack up two inches. I use a round metal file to cut a grove into the brick where the middle rod sets in so the rack sits flat (took about one minute each to cut the grove). I might cut the bricks in half, long ways, to gain a couple more inches of exposed grill. Cooked plate ribs on it yesterday and it worked out great.

View attachment 18102

View attachment 18103
Worked out "grate". FTFY. :)

For I reckon no reason whatsoever - I would probably wrap the bricks in foil, and once in a while maybe change the foil. I do have a condition, I overcomplicate things that don't need it....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back