Bullseye RT Griddle vs. OK Joe Griddle/Pizza Steel or OK Joe Griddle?

Mannydog

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Has anyone used either the Oklahoma Joe Griddle/Pizza Steel or the Oklahoma Joe Griddle on their RT-B380 Bullseye?
  1. OK Joe Griddle/Pizza Steel: https://www.amazon.com/Oklahoma-Joes-7577447P04-Griddle-Pizza/dp/B09BK6PCS6/
  2. OK Joe Griddle: https://www.oklahomajoes.com/griddle
Wondering if they might be decent alternative to RT's flat top griddle. All three appear to be carbon steel, but the OK Joe's both look to be thinner 16-gauge (despite some of the mislabeling) and aren't quite as wide as the RT (OKJ~19" vs RT 21.5"). At 20 lbs, the RT griddle seems to be a well-made beast. The OKJ's both only weigh ~ 9 lbs.

RT's seems to have mixed reviews on this forum, mostly about the cleanup & grease management aspect. I like the higher back wall and perimeter grease channel of the OKJ Griddle/Pizza Steel (middle pic below). I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for", so just wanting to make sure I get something I'll use and enjoy. Alternatively, if they're all about the same, maybe saving ~$30 might make it worth trying the OKJ Griddle/Pizza Steel.

Thoughts from the wisdom of the forum? Thanks!

OKJ Griddle.jpg

OKJ Griddle-Pizza Steel.jpg

RT Griddle.jpg

I'd go heavy. I don't think you will like the grease groove in the middle one, especially at cleanup time.
You might like the first one better because of the handles if you think you'll be lifting it much. That's my only gripe about the RT griddle, I have the large square one. The detachable handles aren't good for tipping the griddle to get the grease out. They're really just good for moving a hot griddle if you need to, from one flat spot to another.

We have the large square griddle from RT and like it a lot very heavy duty. We seasoned it according to the directions( also re-seasoned some of our cast iron skillets) the next morning it was 6 pounds of bacon on the griddle. I did use 3 or 4 paper towels to soak some of the grease up before I was done but would not have had to. It has been back on the grill 4 more times in the past 2 weeks and preforms great. I had planned to put pizza on it this passed Sunday but put the stone on and had it preheated before I thought to us the griddle. The next pizza I still plan to put it on steel. As far as the handles they work for me but I see the point of them being a bit difficult to pour grease out with however so far we have been able to without a problem. Good luck with the decision. I am glad we went with the heavy RT vs other lighter choices.

I have the recteq model for the Bullseye-tried to like it and never liked anything about cooking on it. Heavy to move, inconvenient to store, not the easiest thing to clean, and not much fun to cook on. Stand-alone griddles have rectangular/square sides for a reason. You also don’t get ideal temp control when cooking with the lid open as the RTD probe will see the temp drop and adjust the heat higher to compensate. The low height of the Bullseye is also a pain in the back to cook on for taller people. On the handles, IIRC they worked a little better if you insert them into the griddle from the inside out.

I'd go heavy. I don't think you will like the grease groove in the middle one, especially at cleanup time.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I would have thought the grease channel around the perimeter would help keep at least a portion of the grease away from the middle main cooking area, versus it pooling everywhere sorta like @BradRT700 mentioned. If you don't mind me asking, what were your thoughts on why it wouldn't be as effective or desirable?

I have the recteq model for the Bullseye-tried to like it and never liked anything about cooking on it. Heavy to move, inconvenient to store, not the easiest thing to clean, and not much fun to cook on. Stand-alone griddles have rectangular/square sides for a reason. You also don’t get ideal temp control when cooking with the lid open as the RTD probe will see the temp drop and adjust the heat higher to compensate. The low height of the Bullseye is also a pain in the back to cook on for taller people. On the handles, IIRC they worked a little better if you insert them into the griddle from the inside out.

Thanks for the reminders, Greg. I've been considering a griddle for the Bullseye for months now, but forgot about the temp swings with frequent open/close cycles, or even being continuously open for a while. Plus hotspots. And everything else you mentioned has had me concerned at one time or another, too (heavy, cleaning, etc). Must be my short memory when I get to thinking about a new toy again!

Not sure the OK Joe griddle/pizza steel would solve any of that, even if it is half the weight and has a back wall.

As far as the Bullseye height, even though I'm not even 6 ft, thankfully I decided to make a combination Base Camp on a RT-590 comp cart and it raised the cooking grate level to 36" which is comparable to the standard for kitchen stoves, etc. Love it!

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I would have thought the grease channel around the perimeter would help keep at least a portion of the grease away from the middle main cooking area, versus it pooling everywhere sorta like @BradRT700 mentioned. If you don't mind me asking, what were your thoughts on why it wouldn't be as effective or desirable?
I have a lodge CI griddle with a grease groove along one side. It's just a pain to clean. Sure it will catch your liquid grease, and when it's full - what do you do? Can't scrape the groove with your spatula or anything else really. So I use paper towels to sop up most of the grease, then hot water and a scrub in the sink once it's cool enough to handle.
I can clean up the perfectly flat griddle in place, with a spatula and paper towels, maybe recoat it with a little oil while it's still hot and I'm good for next session.
1st world problems, it may not be a deal breaker for you.

Thanks @SmokeOCD . Good info. I didn't think that about that for the grease groove - they make it sound so useful! Besides, I'm about as low-maintenance as it gets when it comes to cleaning, so there's that.

We have a cast iron griddle with a grease channel. It is a good griddle but like others have mentioned a pain to clean and really doesn’t do that much. If it isn’t level the grease runs to the side and is at the top of the lip and runs out. So you are back to soaking it up or pouring it out. The RT griddle has deep sides so it would take a lot to fill it. I will still soak some up if I believe it is worth the mess but in several cooks only did one or 2 times. Browned 2 pounds of sausage last weekend and there was no need to worry about the grease. FYI breakfast casserole on the RT was great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back