RT-B380

newtorecteq

So I just got my RT-B380 today. And I JUST registered.

I could not select that as my grill. Does that mean its about to discontinued? I came here about to ask about what type wood pellets i could use and was disturbed by the lack of selection for my grill i ordered.

About to pack it back up and send it back if thats the case. I still havn't assembled it. Maybe thats the best thing. Not trying to keep something discontinued.

First, welcome to the forum. Second, take a deep breath and relax.

This forum has NO CONNECTION to Recteq except that most folks here own a Recteq product. Recteq used to use names for their grill models, so your particular grill is listed as “Bullseye.” Maybe the forum administrator will update to the model numbers at some point.

And, yes, there is another version of the B380 being offered by Recteq—the B380X—but I haven’t heard about the B380 being discontinued. It is currently the entry-level grill and priced pretty modestly.

Let’s move on to pellets. Most folks here use either Recteq pellets or one of the major brands like Bear Mountain, Lumber Jack, Kingsford, etc. Check your local hardware or farm supply stores to see what they carry and that will give you an idea of where to start. I like Bear Mountain and it is available locally for me.

Don’t get hung up on all the different pellet “flavor” choices. Start with something like Hickory, Pecan or Alder until you get the hang of things, then you can try the more exotic stuff.

Good luck.

I enjoyed this. Haha

Jim talking the man off the ledge, well done.
Not off the ledge just yet.

So I am supposed to pay $200 more for a lever that lets me dump the ashes? The "deluxe" version? I might as well go Traeger for that money.

So the "intro" $500 version isn't selectable here. Speaks volumes about the Recteq club. I might wait for a costco sale on the Traegers.

Seeing posts and videos about the grease fires caused with version I have. Not a good look for someone who hasn't assembled the unit yet.

So I am supposed to pay $200 more for a lever that lets me dump the ashes? The "deluxe" version? I might as well go Traeger for that money.

So the "intro" $500 version isn't selectable here. Speaks volumes about the Recteq club. I might wait for a costco sale on the Traegers.

Seeing posts and videos about the grease fires caused with version I have. Not a good look for someone who hasn't assembled the unit yet.
There’s a bunch of us here who love our 380s (Bullseye when I bought mine). The grease fire issue typically happens because there isn’t a good grease management system for low and slow cooks. It CAN cook low and slow but was primarily made for hot and fast where the grease burns up on the diffuser plate when it hits. If you plan to use it for low and slow you’ll need some kind of a drip pan preferably raised off the diffuser or with some water in it so the dripping don’t catch fire. The 380X has a different fire pot so I’m not sure how that one works with grease.
I use my 380 probably 4 times a week on average. Traeger has no comparable grill to the 380. It really is a good grill but if you don’t think you’ll be happy you should go to what will make you most comfortable. Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff.
Good luck and happy smokin’ which ever way you choose to go.

Did you not do your homework, before you bought it? Lots of former Traeger owners here by the way, although they still make a fine grill "even if overpriced". RT has many models to choose from, sounds like you chose the wrong model?

Your grill is called the Bullseye, it's selectable, as you have been told by Jim.
Jim also pointed out none of us here are affiliated with RecTeq, so youre barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for a corporate response.

3rd, and most important. Pack up your grill and send it back You are way too angry for bbq. Buy yourself a nice propane grill at Home Depot and be happy.

Because honestly, who gets a new grill, opens a forum account, complains a few days, and still has not put together the grill? Most of us had the grill assembled before our wives even got home and saw what we bought.

I'm often probably too angry at various times in my life, and I understand getting frustrated by things that don't immediately make sense or fall into place "as they should".
Without question, I can tell you my calm happy place is being in front of my RecTeq smokers! I hope yours will be, too, if you decide to give it a chance.

So I just got my RT-B380 today. And I JUST registered.

I could not select that as my grill. Does that mean its about to discontinued? I came here about to ask about what type wood pellets i could use and was disturbed by the lack of selection for my grill i ordered.

About to pack it back up and send it back if thats the case. I still havn't assembled it. Maybe thats the best thing. Not trying to keep something discontinued.
Hurry before the shipping rates increase! This is absolutely inexcusable.

I was thinking the same thing!
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

I've had my Bullseye for less than a year and use it frequently and never had a grease fire. I do use a water pan under low and slow cooks, but not for the purpose to prevent fires. I think it's a very good all-purpose grill. I am surprised at all the comments about it not being good at low and slow. My Bullseye will hold a consistent temperature of 200 on the Lo setting. It will get hotter than I need for steaks or bugers. I use Grill Grates on hot cooks and never see the need to go above 475. I'm not sure what problems people are having with low and slow. I can understand the comments about it being too small, but I'm not cooking for large groups. I'm happy with it and would buy another.

I am 2+ years into my Bullseye. I also am an amateur griller. My first impression of the Bullseye was how hard it was to keep the temperature setting. After the first few cooks it settled down to what I think was normal range for a Bullseye. I never got to 750 degrees but got close a few times. Never used that temp for anything. After 6months or so, I cleaned the firebox and grill of ash. It was like a small opening leading to the fire box. My first cook after the cleaning was a very slow start-up. I won't clean again for at least another year.
The vents in the back need cleaning or you will get smoke out of the pellet box. I learned the hard way. Now I clean them after every 10 or so cooks. I have a pan under the grill to catch grease. I also put a fire brick under the pan to better distribute the heat (I think). I unplug after each cook and have not had a problem starting or with the temperature measurement. I did replace the grill with a cast iron one as recommended by smoking Steve. I also replaced the thermostat. Generally speaking, the grill is hot. If I leave it on low it will barely get down to 200 degrees. I can go from start-up to 500 degrees in about 5 minutes. We are mainly just two people, and the size is perfect. On rare occasions I cook for 4/5 but still have plenty of room.
The only downside is the size of the pellet storage. I never cook for more than 8 hours as I don't like to get up in the middle of the night to recharge. But that's just me. I would probably buy another Bullseye if I needed a new grill.
So, unpack your Bullseye. You can't spend $400 and get a better Grill.

I have a bullseye as well. Contrary to what a few others said, I’ve only gotten a grease fire above 400 degrees. It’s not a long slow cooker (>8 hrs) for me. Most of my cooks are 225-275. I use it mostly for spatchcock chicken & turkey, baby back ribs, country style ribs, pork steaks, sausage, etc. A brisket flat is about the longest I’ve done ~8 hours. I’ve tried steak but prefer my gasser with cast iron plates. Never had a hopper fire/smoke. I vacuum out fire box after every 6-8 cooks. Full cleaning of entire inside about once/year with oven cleaner. Every now and then, it has trouble starting. When that happens, I just pull out my propane torch and light the pellets like that. Works great other than those few minor issues. I’m looking at upgrading to a 590. Just me and the wife now. Daughter off to college this spring so no need for a big grill.
I did see a 675 traegar at Costco last week for under $1K. Might consider that as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back