Bull First Pellet Grill, RT-700 vs Bullseye B380

Chemd36

Hello, been browsing here for a short while. Been interested in pellet grills for a year or two now just haven't pulled the trigger.

I want to start smoking meats, this would be my first pellet grill. I had my eyes set on the RT-700 with the current discount, but thinking it may be a good idea to start with the Bullseye first. Thinking the smaller grill would be a good starter to get my feet wet before moving on to the RT-700. I like the idea of being able to sear at a higher temp without traditional equipment, but if I got the 700 probably would add a sear kit. Any input would be appreciated!

Others may have other thoughts, but I went with the 1250 as I already had a Weber kettle and a Blackstone for high heat searing. It seems like a handful of people found that the Bullseye isn't all that great on low and slow, but a number of folks added a Bullseye for high heat searing. I've actually entertained adding a Bullseye myself, but my backyard is already getting a little crowded and certain people are beginning to ask questions about my spending.

Maybe start with the rt-340 if you want smaller to start. I owned one for 1.5 years and went straight to the 700. The 340 is awesome and much more efficient than the 700, but not enough space for me.

I recommend the 590 Stampede, seems the most sorted out of the bunch and is right in the middle size wise of your 2 choices posted.

Opinions are like rear-ends -- everybody's got one. You asked, so here's mine. My first pellet grill has been the Bulls-Eye. Having just completed the April Academy, you will hear all of the Rec-Teq (recteq) guys say that the 380 is your/their "daily grill". For the Academy, you will use the 380 for some things, and the 700 for longer cooks -- 700s because that is what they have built on the patio @ RT HQ. The 380 is the same 22" size, as is the Weber Kettle, therefore most of the accessories will work. The 380 heats up faster than a bigger barrel. It also, is currently on sale. I think the 380 is a great jumping off pellet grill, and then you can decide how much real estate you additionally are going to need. There is a YouTuber out there called "Smokin' Steve", who lives in Sarasota/Bradenton, and he has both a 380 and a 700. At 225 on the 380, you can get some smoke. For longer overnight cooks, that will be when you want something with a bigger pellet hopper. I'm agreeing with "Motodad1776" above, I'm going with the 590, which I think is the sweet spot.

I started with the 380 and haven’t purchased a bigger model yet but have been wanting to. I’m thing the 590 as well.
Just FYI, the 380 is not maybe a sear machine like you’re thinking about. Yes, it does get to over 500 degrees but you still need the sear grates to put that sear on a steak. It is an everyday grill. Spatchcock chicken, BB ribs, pork steaks, sausage… you know the 1.5-4 hour cooks is what it’s perfect for. The 380 is not a long cook machine IMO.
Good luck

Hello, been browsing here for a short while. Been interested in pellet grills for a year or two now just haven't pulled the trigger.

I want to start smoking meats, this would be my first pellet grill. I had my eyes set on the RT-700 with the current discount, but thinking it may be a good idea to start with the Bullseye first. Thinking the smaller grill would be a good starter to get my feet wet before moving on to the RT-700. I like the idea of being able to sear at a higher temp without traditional equipment, but if I got the 700 probably would add a sear kit. Any input would be appreciated!
It depends on what you want to do more of. If you want chicken breasts, burgers and steaks, get the Bullseye. It is great for high-heat cooking. If you want ribs, butts and briskets, get the larger grill. Admittedly, I'm spoiled. I started with the 340 (tailgater), then got the 590 (stampede), then got the 380 (bullseye) and recently bought the 1250. Ultimately, the 340 and 1250 cover all the needs.
Recommendation...get the 340 and get your feet wet. Then when you have more friends coming over for pulled pork, brisket, etc., get the 1250, too. The 1250 will do the work of the 340, it just takes a little longer to get to the higher temps and isn't as easy to clean up.

Get the sear kit for the 700 and trim the very edges of two of the sections for the Bullseye. This way you only need to buy one sear kit. The Bullseye is a "dream machine" for fast n hot cooks. You can even toss wood chunks in it for some nice smoke at the higher temps. The 700 is a "dream machine" for overnight smokes or long slow smokes. It will do much more but is not the best for weekday fast cooks like steaks when wanting a good sear, but it can do it but not nearly as well as the Bullseye with the sear kit.

I have both the 380 and 700 and like was mentioned above the 380 is a great weekday pellet grill and the 700 is great for longer cooks or if you need lots of space when cooking for entertaining. The 380 is also a great companion grill when reverse searing. I have not used the 380 for any long cooks, but love them both.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back