RT-B380

So i did my first cook.

Porterhouse steak and Kalbi(korean short ribs). It was pretty damn good. I picked up some B&B mesquite pellets from HEB.

Not bad. I was so tired of starting charcoal grills, this is quick and painless. It was a success.

So i did my first cook.

Porterhouse steak and Kalbi(korean short ribs). It was pretty damn good. I picked up some B&B mesquite pellets from HEB.

Not bad. I was so tired of starting charcoal grills, this is quick and painless. It was a success.
Glad it worked out for you. Keep us posted on your cooks and how you are adjusting to the grill. But man you gotta ad pictures!

Not off the ledge just yet.

So I am supposed to pay $200 more for a lever that lets me dump the ashes? The "deluxe" version? I might as well go Traeger for that money.

So the "intro" $500 version isn't selectable here. Speaks volumes about the Recteq club. I might wait for a costco sale on the Traegers.

Seeing posts and videos about the grease fires caused with version I have. Not a good look for someone who hasn't assembled the unit yet.
Send it back already. You will never be happy with the 380 and you will be on here every day complaining. I have a 380 and a 1250 and love them both.

Glad your first cook was a success!

As other said, don't worry too much about pellet flavor. I was kind of obessed with that in the beginning so I understand where you could be coming from. If you were used to using charcoal and real wood in a charcoal grill, the type of wood zero doubt make a big difference in the smoke flavor. This isn't really the case as much with pellets. Pellet smoke flavor is a lot lighter. So the pellet dump(even though they have one on the new RT-380X) feature is more of a fan/consumer driven thing.

If you ever were using your bullsye for "smoking" low and slow, one tip I give folks is use a smoke tube with wood chip flavor you want mixed in with the pellets. I take it a step above that and use Royal Oak charcoal pellets in the smoke tube. I don't use Royal Oak in my Bullseye though just b/c of price. Though I have before and you do notice a difference with those pellets compared to normal wood pellets.

As far as what pellets to use - depends on your area and what you have. The brands Jim suggested on spot on. I've lately been using the Kirkland pellets and had no issues with them. They sell for (by me) $12.99 for 40 lbs. My rule of thumb is to try to keep around 50 cents a lb or less. Anything above, I just don't see the value from my use. The one caveat to that is I do buy a bag of Royal Oak charcoal pellets for when I use my smoke tube. One bag will probably last me about a year.

I love my Bullseye. The Deluxe or RT-380X was not around when I got mine. Would I have opted for the Deluxe? I'm not sure b/c the price difference is pretty signaficant. However, I like the elevated firepot. Mostly because if you don't cover your Bullseye and it out in the open or on a non covered deck, water can get in. I've had it happen and luckily I caught it before the pellets with water turned into like a rock/cement. But that can be a nightmare I've heard from folks on here. So make sure you have a cover and use it.

One other tip I do with mine(just started recently), I unplug my grill after it cools down. I've had my igniter go out twice due to power outages. That's even with an upgraded surge protected outlet. So I've just started to do that. Unless you have the Deluxe, this isn't a big deal.

I won't call this a Traeger hating group/forum. If you go on facebook(not on there any longer) groups for RecTeq, its fanboy city. Which truth be told, I'm a big RecTeq fan but also realize other grill makers make a good product also. The new Traegers I've seen at Ace Hardware are pretty nice. I just believe in my opinion, way over priced. Back in 2019 when I got my RecTeq Bull and compared most pellet grills out there, I thought RecTeq was the best bang for your buck. Traeger nor any other company has something like the Bullseye. Unless someone has made something pretty recent I don't know about. There is(some just posted about this recently) an attachment you can put on Weber Kettles for pellets but that is assuming you already have a Weber. I have a weber kettle still when I want more smoke flavor and have the time.

The Bullseye does have a learning curve. So feel free to ask questions here on things. You will get good responses and suggestions.

So i did my first cook.

Well, that’s quite a turnaround! Glad you gave the grill a try and had success.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back