Bull RT-700 Wifi - Firewall Problems & Fix

rijndael

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I got a new 700 this week and the wifi configuration just kept failing. It would go to 100% (in the setup) and never find the grill. In my wifi controller, I could see the grill connecting to wifi and dropping off after a few seconds.

It turns out the problem is the grill needs outbound access on tcp port 8886. If the connection attempt fails, it will disconnect from wifi and rejoin.

So, before you fire the parts cannon (antennas/controllers/etc), make sure you allow outbound tcp 8886.

Outbound tcp 1883 is also needed for app functionality, but not setup.

Last edited:
I thought I was fairly tech savvy, but I now think I'm wrong about that. :)

This issue you are highlighting is not responsible for the lack of notifications (about temps, etc) received from the app, is it?

I thought I was fairly tech savvy, but I now think I'm wrong about that. :)

Well, it's my day job :)

It's hard to say about the notifications, it really could be a lot of things. TCP 8886 was needed for initial setup and 1883 was needed for the app to update the temp on my grill. I'm sure it's used for other things, but once I allowed those 2 things, most things started working. I'm doing a cook tonight and will update my post if other ports were needed.

I got a new 700 this week and the wifi configuration just kept failing. It would go to 100% (in the setup) and never find the grill. In my wifi controller, I could see the grill connecting to wifi and dropping off after a few seconds.

It turns out the problem is the grill needs outbound access on tcp port 8886. If the connection attempt fails, it will disconnect from wifi and rejoin.

So, before you fire the parts cannon (antennas/controllers/etc), make sure you allow outbound tcp 8886.

Outbound tcp 1883 is also needed for app functionality, but not setup.
Thankfully my WiFi has always worked just fine because I have no idea what any of this means! 🤣😂🤷‍♂️

Why were them there ports disabled?

Because I don't allow all outbound traffic by default.

Most home routers do because it's easier for consumers, but it's less secure. Restricting/Limiting outbound access isn't security panacea, but it's a good first step.

Just one example where it helps is that some malware likes to change your DNS servers. This can cause a ton of problems and help spread infection. Because I'm controlling outbound traffic, only the DNS servers I specify are permitted. The DNS servers I specify block malware domains and other bad things.

Last edited:
I created a guest account with it's own login and password. The Bull is the ONLY thing on that network.

I would be interested to see if this affects the ability to receive notifications on this busy holiday weekend. I can always see the grill on my wifi, but whether it warns me of a problem when RecTeq's servers are busy...a big NO on holidays :(

I'd really prefer a setup where the grill joins the local wifi and my phone discovers it, because they're on the same local network. I want serverless operation, or an option for it. If RecTeq goes under, or is bought out by a non customer friendly behemoth, I don't want to lose my wifi support because their servers are taken offline.

Last edited:
I really do not understand why Recteq has it all tied to their servers. Do all of the other brands do that? My Traeger didn't have their wire-fire thing, so this is my first grill with wi-fi.

Seems like you should just have to use the router for the connection from phone to grill and be done with it.

I created a guest account with it's own login and password. The Bull is the ONLY thing on that network.
I am a newbie. Just got the Bull a few weeks ago. Still can’t wifi to connect. I tried separate guest wifi network and login. 2.4G. I have security turned though, WPA. Turn it off?

I really do not understand why Recteq has it all tied to their servers.
Every company is into data collection (and sales) - these days.
There's a toothbrush ad running now that has an app for your phone - only one reason for that.

I am a newbie. Just got the Bull a few weeks ago. Still can’t wifi to connect. I tried separate guest wifi network and login. 2.4G. I have security turned though, WPA. Turn it off?
FYI I got it connected. Was a password issue. Mind you know which letters are capitalized :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back