Bull RT-700 New owner

RattleR

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
After several years of looking at smokers, I finally gave up on my desire to have another stick burner due to age and physical limitations. I narrowed my research within my budget parameters and looked at three primary brands. I did look over and under budget as well but couldn’t get there.
Two factors really played heavy in the decision to get the Bull over the others.

1) Consistent temperature - I read a lot of reviews and forum threads and all stated RecTeq was solid on temps.

2) Warranty - one of if not the best I saw.

And now a few more

I wanted a horizontal, never had great joy with either of the verticals.

Wanted easy access to run temp probes with out having to mod.

Decent cooking area. For a couple of turkeys, while packer brisket, several pork shoulders, you get the picture.

Not having to get wood and stack/store it in racks. I never minded in my old yard and at a younger age.

The WiFi was some draw. I read and still read some have issues with it. During my burn in and first cool it worked excellent but I did some pre-use network adjustments.

What I didn’t like, the assembly instructions with 15 minutes of effort and the hardware package could make this a much faster process, not that it is bad but really?

Now what I liked
Nice cover however when it gives up I will get a new one from Covermates. Have one on my bif5 burner gas grill and my Weber Kettel.

WiF - Connected right off and provided alerts and was true to the PID on temperature. I will check the accuracy this weekend against my old faithful that is dead on, chamber and food probes.

Temperature settings, and temp consistency were both excellent.

My old stick burner gave up years ago it was a COS so it was not a deal, hauled out my propane vertical the day after first use of the Bill.

Smoking like the Jetsons is great stuff for me. I do have many way to add smoke if needed so I should miss the stick to badly.

I learned a lot from these forums that provided me with great information both pros and cons but exactly what I wanted, so thank you all!

Congratulations on the new grill. I agree on the assembly instructions and hardware package. It wouldn’t take much to improve that a bunch. Make sure you share some of your cooks and what you think of the Bull once you get cooking.

Congrats & Welcome! Now share some of those cooks on that bad boy!

Thanks Waterboy and sdynak for the welcome. Planning my next cook and will post some pics. Sorry for the typos in my op. I also have to learn how to use the forum tools here is the burnin and first cook temp history.
3642965A-927E-407C-A5D4-D04C857F7285.png

Congratulations on the new grill. I agree on the assembly instructions and hardware package. It wouldn’t take much to improve that a bunch. Make sure you share some of your cooks and what you think of the Bull once you get cooking.
Yeah, just throwing all the hardware loose into a single plastic bag would be a huge improvement. I get it that they want to make sure customers receive every last piece of hardware, but Geez, what a PITA.

Oh, and welcome OP !

I’m certainly enjoying my RT-700. I’ve found that I can do 6 racks of ribs with the extra shelf and no real crowding. View attachment 15533
Nice and I see you have a cooks taster right in the front 🙃. Like it and do several of those for the son-in-laws so we get a taste ahead.

Thanks Waterboy and sdynak for the welcome. Planning my next cook and will post some pics. Sorry for the typos in my op. I also have to learn how to use the forum tools here is the burnin and first cook temp history.View attachment 15526
Well I did my first post burn in cook. Did the top half of a picnic, ~ 6 lbs. thought I would start with extreme smoke and then start ramping to 225. As I started ramping up I notice the temp go crazy like 20 plus over set point so I shut it down. Not knowing how to control a pellet, a stick I would have shut the vents some to chill it out. Lost some time but after restarting the temps just flat lined and held nice and steady. Too way longer than I have been used to, close to 9 hrs. Looked great (failed to photo) and tasted excellent. Now for more to get myself dialed in. We will get along just fine!

Well I did my first post burn in cook. Did the top half of a picnic, ~ 6 lbs. thought I would start with extreme smoke and then start ramping to 225. As I started ramping up I notice the temp go crazy like 20 plus over set point so I shut it down. Not knowing how to control a pellet, a stick I would have shut the vents some to chill it out. Lost some time but after restarting the temps just flat lined and held nice and steady. Too way longer than I have been used to, close to 9 hrs. Looked great (failed to photo) and tasted excellent. Now for more to get myself dialed in. We will get along just fine!

No photo!! LOL..

Any chance the pop was from opening the lid? That is normal if so.

Pics next time :)

RecTeq will tell you to let the grill do its job. Temps will constantly overshoot but it will come back down and lock in to your set temp.

As Sydnak said, opening the door is another surefire way to have the grill overshoot a temp as it dumps pellets into the burn pot to overcome the heat lost. The PID controller is the one thing ive been pretty impressed with, its pretty darn accurate if you just let it do its job.

Remember this isnt a stick burner, this is for lazy guys, so be more lazy errr, lazier, just be lazy like the rest of us.

I did lunch and dinner on the 1250 today. But I did have to add some more pellets between cooks, so I did do some work.

@sdynak and @Mozekian thanks and had I not shut it down I could confirm but dollars to donuts you are spot on. I suspect it was when I set the meat on. I almost waited, sounds like I should have. Thanks for the responses. Working on my lazier effort. I am very impressed with the flat line temperatures, never experienced that kind of temp consistency. More cooks w/pics coming.

@sdynak and @Mozekian thanks and had I not shut it down I could confirm but dollars to donuts you are spot on. I suspect it was when I set the meat on. I almost waited, sounds like I should have. Thanks for the responses. Working on my lazier effort. I am very impressed with the flat line temperatures, never experienced that kind of temp consistency. More cooks w/pics coming.
Confirmed on the opening then temp spike. I took a screen shot and just found it. I do appreciate all the good information shared in these forums.

Confirmed on the opening then temp spike. I took a screen shot and just found it. I do appreciate all the good information shared in these forums.
When I got my 1250, the spikes would be 30-40 degrees when I opened because the faster auger would just pump in the pellets to the firebox to overcome the temp loss. Now I just expect it and trust it will correct

Happing grilling on your new 700!

When I got my 1250, the spikes would be 30-40 degrees when I opened because the faster auger would just pump in the pellets to the firebox to overcome the temp loss. Now I just expect it and trust it will correct

Happing grilling on your new 700!
I will follow that advice. Sounds like patience is a virtual in this case. Thanks again.

I will follow that advice. Sounds like patience is a virtual in this case. Thanks again.
Y’all are awesome, just put a tri-tip on and temp jumped 20 degrees up. It is back to temp in a few minutes. Oops forgot the pic. I will grab one.

Y’all are awesome, just put a tri-tip on and temp jumped 20 degrees up. It is back to temp in a few minutes. Oops forgot the pic. I will grab one.
Planned on searing this but the wife said don’t bother it looks great to her. Not Central Coast but smells awesome, really low and slow.

Attachments

• E42BDACC-80ED-436D-A9E6-C855285044FD.jpeg
    E42BDACC-80ED-436D-A9E6-C855285044FD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 93

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back