RT-1250 Ribeye sear

sccowboy

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
So I have the seat plates and per the app, heated the grill to 500. Put the steaks on and noticed that they just didn't seem like there was much sizzle sound. I normally would sear my steaks for about 7 or so mins per side on the gas grill medium heat and they'd come out a perfect medium rare. The 1250 didn't sear them really at all and I had to pull them to try to keep them pink in the middle which they actually ended up more medium to medium well. (wife not happy). It's as if the plates just don't get searing hot or are losing the heat immediately upon opening the door. Couple that with high radiant temp with the door closed and it was more like they were baked not seared. Recteq touts being able to cook a perfect steak.... We normally buy 1.25 to 1.50 inch steaks with good marbling. It seems that I'd need to buy 3 inch steaks to keep it rare in the middle. Any thoughts or ideas to get these cooked better?

GrillGrates can take a while to heat up. How long after the grill registered 500 did you put the steaks on? In addition, I put a pat of butter down to help get a nice crust.

GrillGrates can take a while to heat up. How long after the grill registered 500 did you put the steaks on? In addition, I put a pat of butter down to help get a nice crust.
Didn't really track the time and maybe that's it but I felt like it should have been hot enough. Next time I will hit it with my infrared thermometer.

Last edited:
Blackstone
I have one but since Recteq really pushes the narrative that this grill does it all... I should not have to use it. I do admit that I'm coming off of a gas grill for the last 13 years so there's a learning curve for this grill on many fronts. I've seen many videos from RT and a lot of other folks that seared up steaks perfectly so I'm leaning toward user error and bad technique.

I have one but since Recteq really pushes the narrative that this grill does it all... I should not have to use it. I do admit that I'm coming off of a gas grill for the last 13 years so there's a learning curve for this grill on many fronts. I've seen many videos from RT and a lot of other folks that seared up steaks perfectly so I'm leaning toward user error and bad technique.

Totally respect what you are attempting to accomplish. Can't replace experience ;).

Likely you didn’t get the sear grates up to temp. On my first sear I did the same thing. I wait about 10-15 AFTER it gets to temp. Using my IR thermometer guarantees proper proper temp! Try it again. My RT1250 replaced a gas grill, charcoal grill, and Weber smoky mountain. It took a number of cooks before I got my bead on how the grill cooks, sears, smokes etc. good luck. Pete

Don't know about those grates since I use a 12 inch cast iron frying pan for searing. Like to leave the pan in the grill while I get some smoke on the steak(about 1 1/2 hr at 180-200) I always start my meat straight from the fridge so I can guarantee after the smoke it will be barely 110 degrees. Take it off and cover with a towel to rest while you crank the temp up. I go to 450. Since your pan is preheated to 200 it will get hot pretty quickly. After a bit check your pan temp and sear away with a little butter or tallow. Just as an aside the frying pan works either way. Sometimes if I have friends over I mess with them and sear using the bottom side up.

GrillGrates sear on the Bullseye.
PXL_20230830_213619114.jpg

Update: It was definitely the need to wait for the grates. I now give them ten or so minutes after coming up to 450-500 and the steaks sear perfectly. Thanks!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back