Bull Ribeye Reverse Sear

Armadillo59

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Did my second cook yesterday using a reverse searing method I would normally use in my oven. I would typically cook the ribeye at 270 degrees for 35 minutes to an internal temp of 125. Then I’d crank up the Weber on high and get it up to 550. I’d actually take the aluminum sear grates from my Rec Teq and throw one on the grill. 2 min on each side and it was perfect. But I tried the same method on the RT 700 and it was kind of dry when I ate it. Any suggestions?

I do enjoy more ribeye than smoke flavor.. I initially tried lower heat around 205 for a hour until the 120 mark and then seared only to find it was a bit too smokey for me.

Since then I have ended up closer to the 250 mark and try to go to 110 then sear to eliminate the added smokiness. At 550 it sears so quickly on the plates and comes up fast. I was overcooking at the 120 mark too quick on sear.

I use the sear plates on my Weber as well. My Weber is smaller and have to turn them sideways.

I just got my sous vide so plan on trying that method for comparison. Have never used one.

It's like a drug.. always trying to get a better cook ;)

I got a Sous Vide unit mid summer. Ever since I only do steak that way. SV for a couple hours at 131. Then pull and rest to cool for about 30 min. Then sear either on a super hot gasser or on the flat top for a couple min per side flipping often. Edge to edge med rare and delish every time.

I got a Sous Vide unit mid summer. Ever since I only do steak that way. SV for a couple hours at 131. Then pull and rest to cool for about 30 min. Then sear either on a super hot gasser or on the flat top for a couple min per side flipping often. Edge to edge med rare and delish every time.

See.. now I'm going to have to try this sooner than later. I keep hearing how good it is. Guess the T-Bones will go in the Sous Vide today.

This forum is feeding my addiction... I might have to step away for some time and get help :)

Sous vide is amazing for so many things.

To me, putting a steak in water is wrong on so many levels.

LOL.. well it is in a vacuum sealed bag if that makes a difference.

I had a hard time with this concept as well but see so many positive comments I have to try it. Even the wife asked a few times exactly what was being done. Certainly a new concept to me.

To me, putting a steak in water is wrong on so many levels.
You're absolutely right, it's wrong.
download.jpg

@Armadillo59 on my Bull I always do my smoke step of the reverse sear at 180 and bring the IT to 110 ish. then throw it on the gasser on hot as it can get. ive done this with steak, leg of lamb, tri tips etc. always delish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddegreve
Back