Ribeye Roast Questions

daniel3086

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello everyone!

New to the forum as well as a new RecTeq RT-590 owner! I have only used my new/first pellet grill a few times but really enjoying it so far!

I was looking for some advice on how to properly cook a 5lb boneless beef ribeye roast. The wife found one on sale for New Years and I wanted to try using the new pellet grill.

Here are the questions I have so far:
- Can/should I cook the ribeye roast the same as a prime rib roast? In the past I have oven-baked an herb butter covered prime rib roast at a high temp (around 450) for a short period to get a bark on it and then turned it down and let it get to temp.

- If i use the same method on the grill, should I do the high temp for the bark before or after the roast comes up to temp? I have read about people doing both.

- Normally when baking it I would use a roasting pan and make the drippings into an au jus sauce, can/should I use the oven-safe roasting pan on the grill to catch the drippings?

I eagerly await your responses and however I decide to it I will try and remember to take pictures to post in this thread! Thanks everyone!!

Get the roast, trim it, tie it up to hold it into a nice tight cylinder, season it, stick the probe in, and cook that beauty to your desired temp. Pull it just shy, temp will rise as it rests.

If I get a bone-in roast, I'll do the same and have a rack of ribs on the side. I like the seasoning and smoke all the way around my slice, and snack ribs for lunch at work (y)

First of all welcome to the forum. As Wslayer noted there has been lots of discussion on this as there is every year at the holidays so you can get lots of good ideas reading through them.

As to your questions I would reverse sear it because it’s easier/faster to raise the temperature in the grill than to bring it down. You can do it just by cranking the temp near he end of the cook and leave the roast in, or pull the roast and what for your temp to ramp up then put it back in. Ramp up I would do 15 degrees early, pull and wait I would do 10 degrees early give or take a few degrees.

You can put the roast on a rack in a foil pan if you want to catch juices. Just make sure it’s raised off the pan to get that smokey, crusty goodness all around. You might want to put some beef stock in the pan so your drippings don’t dry up during the cook. Good luck!

Last edited:
I like Waterboy’s reverse sear method. That’s how I do prime rib in the pellet smoker; a couple hours at 225 degrees to get some smoke flavor and then raise the temp to finish it off.

We like our beef medium rare, so pull the roast at 122 degrees internal temperature and let it rest (tented) for 30 minutes. That will bring the final internal temperature to about 130; a perfect medium rare for us.

Obviously, if you prefer some other level of doneness; adjust your pull temperature. With a 30-minute rest, the internal temp should rise 7-8 degrees.

Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bulldawg2024
Back