need recipes or comments for smoking a pork ribeye roast

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I am doing a pork rib eye roast tomorrow on the 590. I would welcome any advice, recipes, or comments on best way to do it

I recently made one cooked at 300 until IT of 140. After it rested it rose to close to 148.
I don't have access to the recipe I used but it was a more herb based rub vs a rib type rub.

For pork roasts, I use a light coating of yellow mustard as a binder and SPOG rub (equal parts coarse kosher salt, coarse-ground black pepper, granulated onion and granulated garlic) plus a tablespoon each of finely chopped fresh Thyme and Rosemary. Use the rub/herbs moderately as pork generally has a mild flavor and can easily be overpowered by too much seasoning.

I usually cook pork roasts at 225-250F for 30-40 minutes per pound, monitoring the internal temperature with an inserted probe and quality meat thermometer. Because I believe in a significant resting period (at least 30 minutes), I pull my pork roasts at 138F. After resting, they will come up to a very safe 145F.

As an aside, while the 145F IT is widely quoted as a “safe temperature” for pork, many well-known chefs feel 140F is really the safe threshold. Overcooking a pork roast will result in a dry, tough piece of meat, so I prefer an IT of not more than 145F and don’t worry if it undershoots by a couple of degrees. YMMV

Good luck with your cook.

For pork roasts, I use a light coating of yellow mustard as a binder and SPOG rub (equal parts coarse kosher salt, coarse-ground black pepper, granulated onion and granulated garlic) plus a tablespoon each of finely chopped fresh Thyme and Rosemary. Use the rub/herbs moderately as pork generally has a mild flavor and can easily be overpowered by too much seasoning.

I usually cook pork roasts at 225-250F for 30-40 minutes per pound, monitoring the internal temperature with an inserted probe and quality meat thermometer. Because I believe in a significant resting period (at least 30 minutes), I pull my pork roasts at 138F. After resting, they will come up to a very safe 145F.

As an aside, while the 145F IT is widely quoted as a “safe temperature” for pork, many well-known chefs feel 140F is really the safe threshold. Overcooking a pork roast will result in a dry, tough piece of meat, so I prefer an IT of not more than 145F and don’t worry if it undershoots by a couple of degrees. YMMV

Good luck with your cook.
Why 30 min rest? Sounds interesting.

Any decent sized chunk of meat (even a thick steak) really benefits from resting to allow the juices to redistribute before you tear into it.

As they say, "If you cut into the meat too soon, you leave all of the juices on the cutting board instead of your plate."

Any decent sized chunk of meat (even a thick steak) really benefits from resting to allow the juices to redistribute before you tear into it.

As they say, "If you cut into the meat too soon, you leave all of the juices on the cutting board instead of your plate."
☝️ What @Pacman said!

I am doing a pork rib eye roast tomorrow on the 590. I would welcome any advice, recipes, or comments on best way to do it
Just rub the heck out of if!! Some like to let the rub set on it overnight. Pork rib eye? must be a typo or new cut. Just saying

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back