Stampede Restart after running out of pellets

Kedscar

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Put four shoulders on at 5pm for an overnight cook. Went to bed at 10 and forgot to top off pellets. My stupid mistake. So, got an alert at 4 pm that grill was rapidly losing temp. So I pulled the shoulders off, removed grates, drip pan and deflector to put some pellets in firepot to restart. Reinstalled everything and restart went fine. Question..... did I need to do all of that or could I have simply added pellets and hit restart? Even with all that, the cook went great. Pulled them at 8am at 195deg, wrapped and getting ready to pull.

Put four shoulders on at 5pm for an overnight cook. Went to bed at 10 and forgot to top off pellets. My stupid mistake. So, got an alert at 4 pm that grill was rapidly losing temp. So I pulled the shoulders off, removed grates, drip pan and deflector to put some pellets in firepot to restart. Reinstalled everything and restart went fine. Question..... did I need to do all of that or could I have simply added pellets and hit restart? Even with all that, the cook went great. Pulled them at 8am at 195deg, wrapped and getting ready to pull.
The only thing that I would have done differently. I would have a big swig of Jack Daniels before messing with the grill. Maybe two swigs? Take the bottle with you!!

I think you could have just topped off the hopper and cycled it for a restart. But, I'd probably have done the same thing. But thinking about it, you could have just topped the hopper off and dumped about a cup of pellets in the pot and lit it with a torch, never having shut it off. This story kinda makes me miss my old offset and waking from the couch at 3 am only to see the pit temp crashing and hurrying to light it back up. Well, not really. :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadefarm
Back