Stampede Running Hot

Grillnit

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Never had a problem running hot until I started using the apple and cherry pellets especially the cherry. Recently I've done cooks that were supposed to be 225 but the entire cook ran between 250-270.
Today I started at 225 with competition blend and added cherry the entire cook stayed between 250-265 even when I changed the temp to low. This is ridiculous. Hopefully the chuck roast with veggies will be edible. I'll stick to the competition blend or another make from this point in.

Have you cooked solely with the competition pellets without issue since noticing the problem?

Could you possibly have a build up of dust in the hopper/auger?

I never noticed any temp swings regardless of pellets used, just less/more ash or smoke made. Put an old school analog oven gauge right beside the internal temp probe for the 590, if the offset is adjusted correctly they should match up, if not you should go with the analog gauge and adjust accordingly. Feed rate adjustment also makes a difference, as does ambient temps out and especially being in direct heat/sunlight.

If you think the pellets made the difference (which I doubt), buy another quality brand of pellets and try them. Should be fairly easy to check.

I’m more inclined to think it is something electrical/electronic like the temperature probe, control board, etc. This is where having an independent temperature monitoring setup is helpful. I have been unimpressed with the temperature monitoring system in my Recteq Trailblazer/RT-340. YMMV

After multiple cooks, different meats and disappointment with results. I started ribs again today with low and slow (200). The grill temp climbed to over 250 once again. After reading various comments and articles I lowered the feed rate from 3 to 2.50 and the temp stayed closer to the 200 temp. I'm using only the recteq ultimate blend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back