Bull Red Caulk inside of hopper

jgmckain

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello. Just installed my RT 700. I observed what I believe to be high temperature red caulk inside of the pellet hopper (along the sides). Was just curious if this was normal.

Thanks

That's what concerned me. I was surprised that caulk would be used where pellets are stored.

I also have the orange silicone sealer in the hopper peeling and have pretty much have been pulling bits and pieces out since new but pulled 90% of it out the other day when I purposely ran the hopper out of pellets to give it a good cleaning using compressed air and a long extended blow gun, there is still a little sealer in the seam so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not sure what the designers were thinking but silicone sealers like this don't adhere well to a painted surface. I'm thinking they did this to try to keep moisture out of the hopper as it is not fully welded.

Last edited:
When I got my Bull there was some caulking in places where it didn't belong but peeled off easily. When I first cleaned my hopper some of the caulking came out and I was going to reseal it with an adhesive caulking but decided to let it go. Haven't had any problems and not looking to make any new ones. ??

When I got my Bull there was some caulking in places where it didn't belong but peeled off easily. When I first cleaned my hopper some of the caulking came out and I was going to reseal it with an adhesive caulking but decided to let it go. Haven't had any problems and not looking to make any new ones. ??
Agreed. It doesn't seem like the caulking serves much of a purpose in the hopper anyways.

The caulking inside my RT700 pellet hopper is starting to peel off. Is that normal too?
I don't know about normal, but not uncommon per posts on this forum. I am of the mind there doesn't need to be any sealing of either part, but that's just my opinion. I was just letting the fella know, yes, RT does seal the barrel and hopper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back