Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
I had posted in another thread some info about Red State BBQ, which has won Best BBQ in Kentucky by Kentucky Living magazine, 2 of the last 3 years. Their BBQ is really good, but their sauces are really, really good! In particular, my wife and I agree that the Kentucky Small Batch is the best sauce we have ever had. The sauces in their lineup run from mild to spicy, and you can tell which is which by the name and/or in the sauce description. I have Not tried any of their rubs yet, other than what is on the BBQ that they serve.

I was about 15 minutes away from them yesterday, so I stopped in and bought three bottles to bring home. I had to also get an order of wings for lunch!

8F9E5C45-6F6D-43DD-AA3A-3643C490A8A8.jpeg
AF3510CF-58D6-43E3-B455-690B04FC4E87.jpeg

I had posted in another thread some info about Red State BBQ, which has won Best BBQ in Kentucky by Kentucky Living magazine, 2 of the last 3 years. Their BBQ is really good, but their sauces are really, really good! In particular, my wife and I agree that the Kentucky Small Batch is the best sauce we have ever had. The sauces in their lineup run from mild to spicy, and you can tell which is which by the name and/or in the sauce description. I have Not tried any of their rubs yet, other than what is on the BBQ that they serve.

I was about 15 minutes away from them yesterday, so I stopped in and bought three bottles to bring home. I had to also get an order of wings for lunch!

View attachment 17233View attachment 17234
The three you have pictured are the three I was going to order! I've never had a white bbq sauce before so I thought I would give it a try. Really looking forward to the Kentucky small batch. Hopefully they aren't too spicy.

Two other places I'd recommend for anyone in the Lexington area would be Blue Door BBQ and Black Barn BBQ.
Red State, Blue Door, and Black Barn! Was just posting this when @Jim6820 replied!

@Mike Blue Door has been on my list of places to visit-need to make that a higher priority. Black Barn is new to me, and it looks like it is catering only?

Red State, Blue Door, and Black Barn! Was just posting this when @Jim6820 replied!

@Mike Blue Door has been on my list of places to visit-need to make that a higher priority. Black Barn is new to me, and it looks like it is catering only?
I do believe Black Barn BBQ is primarily catering, but I do believe they show up to different festivals, farmers markets and the such.

I'll actually get to talk to the owner on the 3rd of next month as he's doing a huge cookout for a tailgate. I will get additional information as to where else he shows up.

On a side note, for anyone who hasn't seen their website - this is the pit they use to smoke... it's a beauty!

1661441786970.png

I do believe Black Barn BBQ is primarily catering, but I do believe they show up to different festivals, farmers markets and the such.

I'll actually get to talk to the owner on the 3rd of next month as he's doing a huge cookout for a tailgate. I will get additional information as to where else he shows up.

On a side note, for anyone who hasn't seen their website - this is the pit they use to smoke... it's a beauty!

View attachment 17236

That is a great looking rig. Although, I can't really see the pellet hopper or wi-fi antenna. :unsure: 😁

That is a great looking rig. Although, I can't really see the pellet hopper or wi-fi antenna.
Let me help with that-this is the pellet hopper, and this is the antenna! Although I don’t see the antenna being any more useful than the ones that come on a recteq! 😂

8C47E57E-3B69-482F-8836-2773E9058717.jpeg

This is on their about page - https://www.blackbarnbbq.com/about/

"Oscar is a 325 gal Propane tank that has been converted into a smoke chamber.

The fire box and the warming box were custom made and attached by Doug Wilson at Metalwerx, located in Nicholasville, KY. Doug also put all of the details on Oscar.

We have wanted a smoker like this for a while and after seeing a lot of different pits we decided we would make our own and customize it to our needs and the way we do things. That explains the large warming box above the fire box. We designed it to hold up to 12 large catering pans and this is what we use as our warming cabinet.

Oscar can feed up to 400 people and never miss a beat. We also have a manual rotisserie cooker on the trailer with Oscar.

All of our cookers are fueled with hickory and pecan. A mix of lump coal and seasoned wood."

@Greg Jones , your photo of the small batch sauce caught my attention. I drove through Lexington in late July and regret I didn't know about Red State BBQ. Ordered the Small Batch sauce and Wow! Really great stuff.

@Greg Jones , your photo of the small batch sauce caught my attention. I drove through Lexington in late July and regret I didn't know about Red State BBQ. Ordered the Small Batch sauce and Wow! Really great stuff.
I’ve tasted a lot of great sauces over the years, even made my own, but IMO nothing compares to Small Batch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back