RecTeq turning off app remote start up feature?

Actually, that one part.. his claim "its an Industry Regulation", is what irritates me the most.
That is literally a lie.
There is NO regulation that affects this what-so-ever.
It is purely a CYA move by Recteq. Nothing more. If it were an industry regulation (that came out last year), other competitors would have complied. (Already sighted an example of a competitor). Again, there were alternative ways to do this, Ray/Recteq chose poorly.

So why does that irritate me the most? - Integrity...
I AM NOW questioning Ray's integrity. If you lie, you lose it.
Agreed

I'm shopping for a new brand with remote start if anyone has any suggestions? Used this feature 3-4 a week. Hell let me roll back my app version and lock it in. I am so pissed nobody by my wife as any clue how pissed. If I can find something right now I will order it. (loved this grill, key word loved) Used it 3-4 times a week since 2019 it a workhorse.
There is a workaround

Do you have to delete the Recteq app to use the Smart Home app for remote start? I like to see the temperature graph curve that the Recteq app has.

For example, remote start the Recteq using the Smart Home app, then once the protein is on the and probes placed, then start the Recteq app?

Do you have to delete the Recteq app to use the Smart Home app for remote start? I like to see the temperature graph curve that the Recteq app has.

For example, remote start the Recteq using the Smart Home app, then once the protein is on the and probes placed, then start the Recteq app?
I did because I use a Fireboard for all temp reporting.

Running the teq with smartlife app right now... Working pretty good.. About the only thing i wanted to add was a way to send a sms to my phone every x minutes telling me its on and the current temp...

Last edited:
My big complaint here isn't that Recteq did this.

It's that they didn't fix the problem with their back end not using the priority Firebase channel for notifications, so you still don't get notified on a reliable basis when things happen (like temperatures hit for the meat probes, etc.)

If they're going to play with the app then this problem, which has been there for a long time and is easy to fix, should have been fixed.

What's this rumor Im hearing about RT turning off or having to turn off the remote startup feature on the app soon??? Regulation ? Or ?
Any links or statements ??

Edit: post from Ray found. This kinda sucks imo. It was just a luxury sure, but a handy one at times . Leave it ro the Govt to screw up a good thing. I wish Ray would actually say who and not "the powers that be"....
Well, turn off your "auto update"...lol
First time responding to a post. This is one of the main reasons for buying this smoker, the remote start! So awesome to put dinner on the grill and remote start it when you’re ready! I do believe in personal responsibility and this isn’t it. I was planning on purchasing another RECTEQ for a different location but that is out of the question now. I understand there are other manufacturers of grills that still manufacture here in the USA, I will be researching them weather or not they remote start, at least they are made here!

First time responding to a post. This is one of the main reasons for buying this smoker, the remote start! So awesome to put dinner on the grill and remote start it when you’re ready! I do believe in personal responsibility and this isn’t it. I was planning on purchasing another RECTEQ for a different location but that is out of the question now. I understand there are other manufacturers of grills that still manufacture here in the USA, I will be researching them weather or not they remote start, at least they are made here!
IMHO, most pre heat the grill before placing food in it. I know, things have changed

Last edited:
Everyone talking about remote starting your car is leaving out the part that your car shuts off automatically after a certain amount of time because of regulations. Ford will stop automatically after 15 minutes of a remote start unless you start your vehicle (holding brake and pressing push to start). After doing a simple search all of the manufacturers I looked up do something similar.

Everyone talking about remote starting your car is leaving out the part that your car shuts off automatically after a certain amount of time because of regulations. Ford will stop automatically after 15 minutes of a remote start unless you start your vehicle (holding brake and pressing push to start). After doing a simple search all of the manufacturers I looked up do something similar.
Interesting my F250, Ram 2500 would run for hours when I used remote in Alaska, maybe it was region but I am glad it did. Start it 3S broadest and coffee then in the truck for a 12 hr. day. FWIW.

Wouldn't a counter argument be, a fire doesn't require a 15+ minute wait time to start either. Could spark off immediately.

Interesting my F250, Ram 2500 would run for hours when I used remote in Alaska, maybe it was region but I am glad it did. Start it 3S broadest and coffee then in the truck for a 12 hr. day. FWIW.
Any of the HD trucks in the GM line will run as long as you want. For use on a construction site it is often necessary to run heavy duty AC switches and inverters with the engine running. This holds true for Firetrucks and many Law Enforcement vehicles also. What law are you referring to as I am not familiar with it at all and would like to do the research.

And you believe that is due to what exactly.....surely not safety, but more like for the environmentalists? Same can be said for the ludicrous engine shut off in stopped traffic feature in "most" cars these days, so what regulations are you referring to and where/who did this all come from and why?

Just experienced this last night. Guess the days of being at the store and finding something to grill and having a ready to go grill when I got home are over. I would like to know how many "accidents" happened with Recteq or any other auto starter. Put me on the extreme "hate this" list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back