Stampede Questions Ribs/Filet Mignon/Beef Tenderloin

Pops

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Hello Again, I have been reading alot in the forum and the more I read the more confused/excited I get. Alot of great ideas. And THANKS to everyone that posts and helps! Makes it a great community!
So I have a few questions:
I am a new RecTeq owner with limited smoking experience. My first bout with burgers was great, it was simple and the grill did the work. So I have a few more questions I would like your opinion on.
I have seen a lot about trying different things, not all meats are the same and I get that. So I am willing to experiment with different recipes and ideas. That being said I have a few questions:

Ribs, I love BB ribs and St Louis style. Have not had good St Louis style since my father in law passed. He cooked country style ribs, is that the same?
Also, because ribs can be a little pricey, if I cook 1 rack at a time, does it affect my cooking time?

Then I want to cook a spatchcock chicken, sounds good.

Reverse Sear, I love Rib-eyes so no problem there, but my wife likes Filet Mignon, I dont see alot on leaner meats any advice? Trying hard to win her over!

Lastly I am cooking a tenderloin for Easter when my son and his girlfriend visit us from school. I have not seen alot of tenderloin recipes. I personally like more fat, but I want to impress with my new grill as past attempts with other grills have fallen short.

Any help and or ideas will be greatly appreciated, keeping in mind I need simple and easy, but dont mind doing the work.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey Pops!

As a fellow "Noob", half the fun has been finding out what works and what doesn't work for me. You can cook almost anything on these smokers, but some foods I still only grill on my Weber Kettle.

I find myself going straight to YouTube as soon as an idea pops into my head. There are some great smoking resources there. And of course, right here, there are some real smoking wizards to learn from.

As far a ribs, country style ribs are not really ribs (they have no bone), but still pretty awesome to smoke.
As for cooking time, I don't think the number of racks will affect your cooking time as long as you don't keep opening the lid.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the ride!

Well Pops, you've got a wonderful world in front of you ready to unfold.

Pork country ribs, as @We'reSmokin'Now said, are not ribs, they are a cut from the pork shoulder actually. They're cut in strips that vaguely resemble ribs in shape.

Be aware that saying "tenderloin" is insufficient information. Some will see that and think of beef tenderloin, which btw is where your wife's fillet would come from. Then there's also a pork tenderloin, which can be nice for a variety of dishes, but as a lean cut with little fat it can easily be over cooked to a miserable dry texture. A service temperature target should be 145 degrees for a nice moist delivery. And be careful when searching out recipes/advice as there seem to be a lot of folks out there that don't know the difference between a pork loin, and a pork tenderloin. Either are good but because the tenderloin is roughly half the diameter (or less) of the loin, the methods and timing will most often be different.

While it can be done to the satisfaction of many, cooking a beef steak on the pellet grill is not my preference. I'm more of a hot and fast guy, good sear, controlled internal temp. Which brings me to the last comment. Your best friend is an instant read thermometer, especially for beef steaks, if you don't already use one as a regular tool.

I sold my fairly large propane grill when I got my 590. But I'm leaning away from grilling my burgers and steaks on it. It's done a decent job but even with the grilling searing utensils it takes a long time to heat, barely sears. And just seems like I'm trying to make the unit do things it doesn't want it to do. So I'm going to ask Uncle Bob to loan me a couple hundred bucks while I go out and buy a small gas grill.

I sold my fairly large propane grill when I got my 590. But I'm leaning away from grilling my burgers and steaks on it. It's done a decent job but even with the grilling searing utensils it takes a long time to heat, barely sears. And just seems like I'm trying to make the unit do things it doesn't want it to do. So I'm going to ask Uncle Bob to loan me a couple hundred bucks while I go out and buy a small gas grill.
I bought a Bullseye a few weeks after the 590, having gone through many grills, including a Weber, a Holland grill, BGE and numerous gas burners, I have learned that one grill does NOT do all.

I love my Bullseye for fast and hot, great for weekdays, anything not low and slow, cooked burgers, chicken, Pizza and even cooked breakfast including pancakes!

That being said, I love my 590, cooked my first brisket and it did not disappoint!

I cannot recommend the Bullseye enough love it!

Last edited:

We did the same thing. I sold a large KitchenAid LP Grill and bought a RT-700. Now it just got here today and I just got done assembling it so we will see how it does. I did get the sear plates. They might work for beef but to be honest. I more got them because of reading about doing Pizza on it. I have one buddy with a RT700 and he said he does everything on the RT. I have a couple more buddies with Traeggers and they are all saying no way to beef on them but it makes great pork and chicken.

For us, we normally buy a bunch of beef. Then we season it and break it into packages that we vac seal with the food saver of 2-3 steaks. Then depending on how many are eating we do Sous Vide to cook it and I have a Blackstone Griddle that I have been using for searing. We got the Blackstone last summer and since getting that we never fired up the grill. Also if doing chicken it is often chicken breast so we cook it the same way as well as boneless pork chops.

I want to do more ribs, pulled pork and chicken, while some of that can be done in our Masterbuilt smoker. I didn't like babysitting it all the time. So we will see if maybe a smoke tube and the RT700 will replace that.

Everyone has their own preference to things. That will ultimately be the deciding factor. Like they say, if you have something that does everything, it can't do anything really well. That is why I have a tractor and a zero turn. That ZTR might be a one trick pony but it does it well.

We will see if we go back to a small gas grill for anything. Actually come to think of it, I have a commercial NG grill out of a restaurant that I would probably hook up if I really wasn't happy with the RT or Blackstone at that. I could pretty easily do reverse sear with the RT and finish on that. I keep forgetting about it out in the pole barn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back