Pulled Pork tips?

I think a 7-8 lb shoulder @ 225F, no wrap, will be in the 14-16 hour time range, as well. If you get a late start, raise the temp. I'd guess a 10F increase at the start will shorten cook time by about 1 1/2 hours

If nobody will be there until amost the time to eat, I'd target it being done about 3 hour before. You can leave it in the smoker for quite a few hours as the smoker cools down. If this is the plan, I'd shut it down about 190-195F internal meat temp.

Of course, if I were in this situation, I wouldn't do it like above unless I was just trying to show off. Too much left to chance and too much work left to do when people want to eat.

I'd put that butt on about right now (4:30 am) and run it 225F up to about 145F internal, crank it up to 275F, schred it after dinner tonight, place it in a 1/2 restaurant tray and refrigerate. Then whip up some broth with some pork bullion or chicken broth (yes it works well) with the rub used on the outside of the butt. You can just use water and rub too, since the idea is just to add moisture and spice. I would not use the drippings from the cook, since it is literally pork jello juice and will congeal to an unappetizing gel when it cools.

Add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the broth to the tray of pulled pork and put it in the smoker at 350F. Add a smoke tube if desired. Heat until you see the top of the pork brown to desire.

Good thoughts ^. I disagree on the drippings, though. The jello is gelatin from cooking the meat - it dissolves with heat and the drippings equal flavor.

MC2k,
No doubt it has flavor. I have gone another way for adding flavor. I discovered this product, which I use for making my broth and adding rub and seasonings.

I often use cold pulled pork to make a sandwich. I don't want to deal with the gelatin.

20210730_084855.jpg
20210414_174959.jpg

MC2k,
No doubt it has flavor. I have gone another way for adding flavor. I discovered this product, which I use for making my broth and adding rub and seasonings.

I often use cold pulled pork to make a sandwich. I don't want to deal with the gelatin.

View attachment 11867View attachment 11868
Understandable, especially with the cold stuff.

And base (pork, chicken, beef, etc) is a great tool in your kitchen! Useful in lots of things.

I know this is late. Start the day before and plan on having it done before you leave for golf. Wrap it up and put it in a well insulated cooler to rest. It will be ready to go when you get home. You would be surprised how long it stays hot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back