Stampede Pulled pork for graduation

Lineforeman

I am doing pulled pork for my granddaughters graduation. I am planning on doing 7 approximately 9lbs butts figuring on ending up with 40 to 45 pounds of pulled pork when finished, I figured about 3people to a pound so should have enough for about 120 plus people. Does this seem about right? Then I was thinking about warming in the oven for about an hour at 250 or so befor putting I. The roaster to serve. Does this sound about right to everyone?

How far ahead of serving will the cook finish? Roaster pan - or roaster oven (those are awesome).
Your portions look fine - I think you only banking on losing 2lbs from raw to servable product may be a bit off. Good Luck!

If I were doing it, I’d plan on at least 8oz (2 per pound) portions. That would give you some wiggle room. And, as @SmokeOCD said, I think you will lose more than 2 pounds from raw to cooked. Feeding a group of 120+ is a bit dicey; especially the “+” part. 🙄

So, that would require 60# cooked and pulled pork. I would go with at least 9 butts of the size you were thinking. Any leftovers can be vacuum-packed and frozen.

Good luck with your cook.

I guess I had always heard to figure 30% shrinkage when doing bone in butts so that is what I was using for a starting point.

I just checked elsewhere - there's tons of catering calculators out there as well.
1 butt per 10 people. 60% yeild (some say 50) 9lbs x 60% = 5.4lbs.
At 1/3lb that's 15 people, at 1/2lb that's 10. Me and @Jim6820 would definitely eat a 1/2 (if it was good).
Kids - could be as low as 1/4lb per person. Then sides play into it. More sides eaten, less meat needed.
It's like food calculus. I'll be tossing at least 10lbs deep fried cod today because I overestimated, which for me is way better than suffering the feeling I would have had running out of food.

Damn, thinking like @C. Keeper already has me laughing like the immature 12-year-old boy I truly am. 😇:sneaky:
If he ever retires - I guess you're next in line for the job. Or you can be a duo like Batman and Robin.
1684358793378.png

I guess I had always heard to figure 30% shrinkage when doing bone in butts so that is what I was using for a starting point.
In my experience, I've measured 45-50% loss, though I discard most of the fat while I know many people incorporate the fat into the end product as they're pulling it :sick:
Depending what else is being served, figure a minimum of 1/3 to 1/2 lb per person. Best to error on too much, then vacuum seal and freeze the excess. I currently have ~20 lbs vacuum sealed in my freezer.

I’m curious of your final results/ numbers etc. Lurking here for a while. I have to know! Thanks.

We usually plan on 40% loss. 1/4 lb per person for sandwiches and 1/2 lb per person straight up no bun. Those numbers are for a meal heavy on the sides. Always have had extra at the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back