Bull Pulled pork question

As others have said;

A) Buy the correct cut. When you say you picked up a pork roast, that generally means a pork sirloin. Good meat, but definitely not pulled pork material. Get a good, fatty pork shoulder or Boston butt, preferably bone-in. You can also get a picnic shoulder, but there isn't as much meat and the bone is a little awkward.

B) Temp and tenderness over time. Every shoulder is a little different so time isn't a good arbiter of doneness. Generally, 200-205 is a good pull temp, but always probe it to make sure.

C) For pit temp, I start at 225 and run a smoke tube for the first two hours for additional smoke and bark formation. I spritz with plain apple cider vinegar throughout after the first hour. When it hits 170 internal, I wrap in foil and turn the temp up to 275 until an internal temp of 200. I then leave it in the foil, but expose everything but the bottom and turn the temp up to 325 for 20-30 minutes to crisp up the exterior a bit. Then I pull it, put it on a sheet tray and tent it with foil for a half hour to an hour with a bath towel over the foil. Put on a pair of liner gloves and some nitriles and go to town pickin' pig!!
This sounds like a fabulous process, thanks for the detail. I’ve done I rack on my stampede and found the bark to be almost like Jerky. Is there a step I’m missing that would give me a more chewable outside layer?

I did the same thing as you on my first Boston Butt smoke and pulled it at 180! After reading many posts on this forum I had more patience and waited until 205 and what a difference! I smoked two Butts last night and one of them hit 205 almost an hour earlier then the other one so each cut has its own personality

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back