Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
So, I’m sure that most of us are aware of the safety concern of using a wire brush style cleaner on our grills. No question that people have ingested pieces of wire and sustained serious injury. Because of this potential for injury, I switched to only using a coil-style brush some time ago that,is supposed to address this. Imagine my surprise today when I cleaned my grates and found a piece of wire left on my grates. I didn’t take a picture of the wire strand at the time, but later I did go looking for the source on my the grill brush. Bingo, this was the source. Don’t have any recommendations yet on what to do differently, but these coil brushes are not the answer to the problem.

IMG_2008.jpeg

Balled up piece of foil. Works great, no storing something greasy and dirty either.
Yup, I’ve done that in the past-don’t know why I stopped other than the coil brush I have also has a scraper to clean the drip pan. Back to the foil and the putty knife.

So, I’m sure that most of us are aware of the safety concern of using a wire brush style cleaner on our grills. No question that people have ingested pieces of wire and sustained serious injury. Because of this potential for injury, I switched to only using a coil-style brush some time ago that,is supposed to address this. Imagine my surprise today when I cleaned my grates and found a piece of wire left on my grates. I didn’t take a picture of the wire strand at the time, but later I did go looking for the source on my the grill brush. Bingo, this was the source. Don’t have any recommendations yet on what to do differently, but these coil brushes are not the answer to the problem.

View attachment 20695
Throwing mine away, thank you!

I went many years and never had an issue with the metal brushes... until I did. Was grilling hamburgers and before we put it on a bun, found a 1/4" long piece of steel sticking out.

Then tried the coil brushes as well and then wiped down with a paper towel and olive oil and hoped that would take care of it.

Finally, got tired of storing caked on gunk tools and went the aluminum foil route as well a few years ago. I've found it cleans easier, better and without worry.

Finally, got tired of storing caked on gunk tools and went the aluminum foil route as well a few years ago. I've found it cleans easier, better and without worry.
OK, guess I will have to try the “aluminum foil route.” Never tried it because it didn’t sound like it would be effective, but I guess I was wrong.

Just tried the foil, I’m sold, at least for now.

i had fired up the RT to 400 to burn off the crud from yesterdays Butt so while going back to 225 for shutdown I decided to try the foil. Worked very well with about 24” of regular length foil, but with the grill at about 350 it gets hot on the hand.

While I was at it I thought I’d try it on the Weber that we made burgers on a couple days ago. Being stone cold I thought it would be tough, nope, foil work better then the wire brush I have.

IMG_0133.jpeg

Interesting product, but pretty pricey. Wonder how long the heads will last? Any experience to share, @Thor8594?
I bought one to exclusively use on my griddle. Does a nice job there, but I never wanted to try it on my grill. The heads, while OK in the dishwasher, are still just not what I want to be washing with my other dishes. I’m open minded to what I might want to try differently, but thus far not a big fan. The advertising approach is a bit of a turn-off also.

I've had a Grill Rescue brush for a couple of years. I did finally have to replace the head as the plastic clips that hold the pad on the handle finally quit on me. I've used it on my Recteq and Blackstone, very successfully. The really baked on gunk when I use some sort of marinade/glaze over lump charcoal open fire proved to be too much for the Grill Rescue brush (and pretty much any other tool).

Their marketing is obnoxious, but that seems to be the playbook for online retailers these days as BBQGuys, PK Grills, Snake River Farms, and others are just about as relentless until you start blocking them. I'm just glad Black Friday is behind us now. My approach now is that if I receive more than one message from a retailer in a day, they are deemed a nuisance and blocked.

I tried this, I wanted the dual head but it was not available. Am I impressed, MEH, however it has not shed yet. Does it do a great job, not great but gets the top of the grates clean, in between is a problem.

Tool Wizard Toolwiz, Grill Brush with Extra Scrubber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000216X6M

Interesting product, but pretty pricey. Wonder how long the heads will last? Any experience to share, @Thor8594?
I've been using them for about 6 years or so. The key to making the heads last longer is to scrape the grates good and heat them to about 500º, soak the head in water and clean the grates. I have only had to buy 3 heads so they last about 2 years before you need to replace. Great product, I switched to this after I read about a kid who almost died from ingesting a wire bristle from a grill brush.

I bought the coil brushes in 2015 and they were junk. Didn't clean well at all.
Bought the grill rescue in 2019 and still use it exactly as @Thor8594 does for the occasional deep clean.
I can't remember when I bought this, but it has been fantastic. Stainless steel bristles. Comes with a lifetime warranty, but I have no experience with how well that is honored.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back