Stampede Probe issues - temp inconsistencies

Rockin_K

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi all - I have a 4 month old 590 that has done about 10 cooks. I previously had a 2017 RT-700 but went with a smaller size and newer technology. I've recently had an issue with the probes where the temp is being monitored and is consistent then suddenly spikes, then bounces around, then crashes and the probe doesn't register a temp. I've tried both supplied probes in port A. Recteq has been great about getting back to me, but I was wondering if others have experienced this issue and what solutions you've found.

Best

I’ve had all kinds of issues with the probes including one of the ports on the original controller DOA. The original probes did the same thing to me as you described even with the new controller.

I found some aftermarket probes on amazon that have been working well for me. I believe the brand is Elgin BbQ. They’re worth a shot IMO.

Rec Tec Grills Upgraded Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY9Q8B9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_f.iEFbDFS9JFN

Has this issue been resolved? Has Rec Teq provided updated probes or do they still perform poorly?

I found some aftermarket probes on amazon that have been working well for me. I believe the brand is Elgin BbQ. They’re worth a shot IMO.

Rec Tec Grills Upgraded Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY9Q8B9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_f.iEFbDFS9JFN
My probes have been pretty close, when compared with my Smoke, and I use them all of the time. I do hate the fact that there's no strain relief on them. One probe does act up when the wire is moved around a lot at the probe, so I might just try out the probes on Amazon.

Thanks for the info.

My probes have been pretty good. I did start having problems with one, but once I tightened the nut on controller that was loose and recalculated them and I had already contacted RT and they sent 2 new probes. I am still using the old ones. I think 1 may still be suspect, but I always double check with an instant read once the temps get close.

My probes have been pretty good. I did start having problems with one, but once I tightened the nut on controller that was loose and recalculated them and I had already contacted RT and they sent 2 new probes. I am still using the old ones. I think 1 may still be suspect, but I always double check with an instant read once the temps get close.
I have also found my RT probes to be pretty good. I have checked calibration a couple times. Probe A is perfect while B is off two degrees before I offset. My javelin is consistently within a couple degrees of the probes at the end of cooks. I realize other folks have reported much greater variances.

When you mentioned the loose nut I checked mine. Probe B was just a bit loose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back