Bullseye Bullseye meat probe issues

jonny_comfort

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
OK, so I've had my Bullseye since last June. Absolutely love using it, and have been looking for reasons to cook outside more than ever.

Recently, I used the bullseye for a smoked stuffed meatloaf, which came out amazing. But the meat probe has me confused a bit. I have never changed any of the factory settings on the grill. Within 5 minutes of starting the grill up and putting the meatloaf on the heat, the meat probe temp was reading over 400 degrees. This is with the meat probe stuck into raw ground beef and the grill itself set to 250 degrees. It was not even warmed up all the way to temp yet, but the meat probe temp kept climbing.

I currently do not have a second meat probe or other external thermometer, so I do not have anything to compare to, but clearly I was getting some very wrong readings. Can someone point me in the right direction on this? Is this a common thing on the Bullseye? Thanks in advance.

OK, so I've had my Bullseye since last June. Absolutely love using it, and have been looking for reasons to cook outside more than ever.

Recently, I used the bullseye for a smoked stuffed meatloaf, which came out amazing. But the meat probe has me confused a bit. I have never changed any of the factory settings on the grill. Within 5 minutes of starting the grill up and putting the meatloaf on the heat, the meat probe temp was reading over 400 degrees. This is with the meat probe stuck into raw ground beef and the grill itself set to 250 degrees. It was not even warmed up all the way to temp yet, but the meat probe temp kept climbing.

I currently do not have a second meat probe or other external thermometer, so I do not have anything to compare to, but clearly I was getting some very wrong readings. Can someone point me in the right direction on this? Is this a common thing on the Bullseye? Thanks in advance.
I would recommend giving recteq support a call.

Last edited:

I had mine fail. But, I think it happened because I got it too hot. I'd buy a new one but I can't figure out where to buy it.

@jonny_comfort occasionally the probe port on the controller is loose and that will give you wonky readings. It’s quick and easy to check and see if you can tighten it. If it’s not loose then I agree with the other posts to call support.

I did a spatchcocked chicken last night. Placed the meat probe in the breast and set the temp for 225 for one hour, then cranked it up to 375 for the rest of the cook. Chicken looked crispy when the probe read 142* So I used my hand held instant probe and got a temp of 160 in breast and 174 in thigh. Did a repeat and got similar results. My Offset has been on +18 and Actual temp is on average about 10-20 degrees higher at the mid temps. I will need to check the meat probe with boiling water and ice water to see if it is accurate. One thing I did not test before using, since I don't often use it on the 380. Will do and report asap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back