Bull probe calibrations

wincraig

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
dialed in my meat probes with ice water and are now reading what my thermopen reads, which I trust. my grill temp is maybe 30 some degrees different than my themopen, but can only adjust down 15 degrees.

dialed in my meat probes with ice water and are now reading what my thermopen reads, which I trust. my grill temp is maybe 30 some degrees different than my themopen, but can only adjust down 15 degrees.
Adjust down? If you are adjusting the RTD...those numbers are percentages, not degrees. So, if you turned that down to 15, that's 15%, not 15 degrees.

At 450, that would be 67 degrees lower

Last edited:
As already mentioned, the probe calibration is in degrees, the pit calibration is a percentage. recteq advises using the probe in the center of the grill, 1” off the grate. Run the grill at 350* for one hour and then calibrate. I expect they recommend 350* because that is the mid-point of the grill’s approximate 200-500 degree range.

Note that this calibration may not be linear, so it could be a few degrees hot/cold at 225*, spot-on at 350*, and a few degrees hot/cold at 450* personally, I set mine using 250* as I’m more concerned with accuracy at smoking temps, less so for higher temps for hot and fast cooks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back