Preferred Rubs

spartyonjoe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’ve been BBQing for the past 5 years and have always made my own rubs. Which is great for controlling flavor, but I have no frame of reference as I don’t get BBQ unless I’m cooking it. I want to try a couple of commercials rubs, please share your favorites! Specifically for pork and beef please. Thanks!

if your looking for a great spg i really like kinders the blend. it’s nothing but salt pepper and garlic. its a semi coarse grind and fantastic. walmart and sams/costco sells it
It also has oil in it.

your absolutely right bretm i just fact checked you lol. it does have sunflower oil and garlic oil. i like it though. pretty good all purpose spice for me

I never see the Recteq rubs mentioned when people talk about their favorite rubs. I started with their Honey Rib Rub on ribs and butts when I bought my first smoker 2-1/2 years ago. I’ve tried several other rubs since then based on recommendations on this site, but I keep going back to the Honey Rib Rub.

I never see the Recteq rubs mentioned when people talk about their favorite rubs. I started with their Honey Rib Rub on ribs and butts when I bought my first smoker 2-1/2 years ago. I’ve tried several other rubs since then based on recommendations on this site, but I keep going back to the Honey Rib Rub.
Everyone in my family loves the RT Heffer Dust on beef.

I love Jeff Philips rib rub recipe!

I've found most of the good stuff is local/regional. Like my favorite cajun seasoning is from a restaurant in Lake Charles. I stock up on that and cajun sausage when we go to visit my wife's family there. I'm lucky living in the Dallas area because we have a lot of good Texas BBQ places in the state and most sell their own rubs/sauces. I have found some others I like off Amazon and some of the local high end BBQ stores that bring in brands from other locations. So for me Meat Church is sort of local since it is just south of Dallas. I just tried their Holy Cow this weekend. I thought it was OK. My favorite brisket rub is Rudy's which is a BBQ "chain" out of Austin. Theirs is on the spicy side which I like.
Boom! I ran across Rudy’s while traveling through Texas. That brisket rub is all I use anymore. Lots of pepper.

I use Meat Church (I have al of them except hit hog and pecan) and Kosmos SPG.
I'll smoke a Brisket in July and make my on rub using Franklin's recipes

I use Meat Church (I have al of them except hit hog and pecan) and Kosmos SPG.
I'll smoke a Brisket in July and make my on rub using Franklin's recipes
I have the pecan. Not a fan will use it up on pork butts next time I do them.

One of the brands KennethK noted in his chart above are my absolute favorite rubs from the line of Dizzy Pig seasonings (https://dizzypigbbq.com/) (also on Amazon). Their flagship standard Dizzy Dust goes with everything, and I probably have close to a dozen of their other varieties. I use their Tsunami Spin on fish, pork, chicken and even scrambled eggs now and then. Every one of them are superb, and I use them for so many different things in the kitchen beyond just BBQ.
Half the fun of cooking is trying different flavors with foods that traditionally "shouldn't" go together and seeing what you like. Enjoy!

P.S. Spartyonjoe - welcome to the forum. Great to see another MSU Spartan join the RT family! If you expand my avatar you'll see the familiar block "S" in there.

I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, have some various Traeger rubs, but for Brisket it's kosher salt and pepper, and for pork ribs, I like Marlowe's rub recipe.

The Marlowe's recipe is located here (might want to scale it down). It's actually two rub recipes, with some of the second (Black Magic) being added to the first. If you like Memphis style ribs, it's great. The black magic rub is great on chicken, fish, veggies....but it does have a kick to it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marlowes-bbq-dry-rub-recipe-1939608#reviewsTop

I have the full collections from Meatchurch, Hardcore Carnivore, and Lane's BBQ. Enjoy them all and they have their place... I used rubs on literally everything, not just smoked or grilled foods.

Yesterday, I tried Recteq's Freakin Greek on some chicken wings. WOW. That one is a keeper. Whole family really liked it.

I tried Heffer Dust for the first time. I used it on a pork loin because i didn't want a sweet rub. Loved it. I liked the flavor and the texture. Excellent.

Yesterday, I tried Recteq's Freakin Greek on some chicken wings. WOW. That one is a keeper. Whole family really liked it.

I've used Freakin Greek on a lot of things, including salad. I especially like it on chicken.👍

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back