"Preferred" Pellets

OK, so I have ordered the 700 and it's ready for pickup (shipping). Looking around these threads, there seems to be no single best option when it comes to pellets, and I understand that, opinions are like hineys - everybody has one.

I have looked around the older posts, but to be honest, when you search something like "pellets", there is a butt load of responses. I apologize if this has been asked, but honestly, I did go through 10 pages before I got frustrated.

Here are some of the brands I have seen on the first 10 pages of "pellets": I would like to know your 3 favorite brands/flavors of pellets you would recommend to a newbie RT pellet smoker.
  • Rec Teq
  • Bear Mountain
  • Camp Chef
  • Jack Daniels
  • Kirkland Premium
  • Kirkland Signature
  • Kingsford
  • Pit Boss Competition
  • Traeger
  • Something really cool I don't even know about (Old School Reference!)
1. Bear Mountain Hickory
2. Bear Mountain Hickory
3. Bear Mountain Hickory
100. All others

1. Smoke Ring - super hard to find lately, but their Oak Hickory Cherry (OHC) is the best I've used
  2. Lumberjack
  3. Bear Mountain Gourmet BBQ (OHMC).
Knotty Wood was fun to experiment with, but it creates some challenges with ash and "clinkers" that need to be cleaned out of the firepot.

Finding pellets without crazy shipping costs is often a deal breaker.
Rural King stores sell pellets under their brand name. The store has a poster that reads "Made by Lumberjack".
Their Hickory pellets are the best pellets I have ever used consistently.
*Burn hot and go a long way.
*Cost (least important to me) BUT $4.99 / 18 lb bag.
I have just purchased their "Southwest bold smoky flavor" which are,
  • 25/45/30 ratio of mesquite/oak/hickory
  • Have not cooked with yet.

OK, so I have ordered the 700 and it's ready for pickup (shipping). Looking around these threads, there seems to be no single best option when it comes to pellets, and I understand that, opinions are like hineys - everybody has one.

I have looked around the older posts, but to be honest, when you search something like "pellets", there is a butt load of responses. I apologize if this has been asked, but honestly, I did go through 10 pages before I got frustrated.

Here are some of the brands I have seen on the first 10 pages of "pellets": I would like to know your 3 favorite brands/flavors of pellets you would recommend to a newbie RT pellet smoker.
  • Rec Teq
  • Bear Mountain
  • Camp Chef
  • Jack Daniels
  • Kirkland Premium
  • Kirkland Signature
  • Kingsford
  • Pit Boss Competition
  • Traeger
Not a fan of the Rec Teq pellets, not much flavor. Bear Mountain has been good. I've had good taste from Pit Boss but a dirtier burn. Lumber Jack has been my favorite so far.

I prefer Lumber Jack! Somewhere someone wrote they thought Cabellas pellets were made by LJ so I emailed LJ a couple of weeks ago to verify that rumor. I received an email back from LJ last week that stated they do make the pellets for Cabellas which you can also get at Bass Pro!

I am surprised that I never see Green Mountain pellets listed. I have found that they have the least amount of dust in the bag and leave the least amount of ash behind. But, they probably wouldn't be liked by people that want a very strong smoke flavor. I know that I am in a minority but, in all my decades of smoking meats, I have tried to get the cleanest smoke that barely flavors meats.

Lumber Jack 100% wood flavor varieties is going to be hard to beat. Their blended pellets are really good too. Next would be Bear Mountain and Kingsford.

Assuming the above pellets are what you have easily available to you, I’d pick a top three of recteq, Bear Mountain, and Kingsford. But I also would not sleep on Cookin’ Pellets, Rural King, or Jealous Devil.
Recteq and cookin' pellets are the same, recteq is just a rebrand.

I've settled in on the Kirkland brand pellets... Tough to beat the quality at that price point.
I’ve been a Lumberjack guy since I bought my 700 a little over a year ago. I like their Competition Blend but also enjoy coming up with my own mixes just for kicks. I did recently but several bags of the Rural King brand when they were on sale for $4.99 but haven’t had an opportunity to try them yet.

I’ve been a Lumberjack guy since I bought my 700 a little over a year ago. I like their Competition Blend but also enjoy coming up with my own mixes just for kicks. I did recently but several bags of the Rural King brand when they were on sale for $4.99 but haven’t had an opportunity to try them yet.
I’m totally all-in with the RK pellets. I’ve tried their competition blend and 100% hickory and they have been stellar. It doesn’t hurt that I now drive past by a RK every week, so no additional gas$$. Currently on sale for $4.99 for a 20# bag.

I primarily use Lumberjack. I usually make my own blends, but they're similar to OHC for Beef and MHC for Pork & Chicken. Lumberjack doesn't have Alder, so I use Bear Mountain Alder for fish and seafood. I usually go in on a bulk buy for Lumberjack to get the price/pound to around $0.37.

1. Smoke Ring - super hard to find lately, but their Oak Hickory Cherry (OHC) is the best I've used
  2. Lumberjack OHC
  3. Bear Mountain Gourmet BBQ (OHMC).
Knotty Wood was fun to experiment with, but it creates some challenges with ash and "clinkers" that need to be cleaned out of the firepot.

Finding pellets without crazy shipping costs is often a deal breaker.
I Like the flavor of Knotty wood plum. But the clinkers are a serious problem. I am 8 hours in to a 10mhour cook. at 4 hours I had to disassemble my grill to clean out the fire pot now I have to do it again. Believe this is my last cook with their product.

I’ve used Pit Boss competition the most and no issues with them. Also used Traegar & kingsford hickory.
No offense, but I’m not a pellet nerd so those listed above all work well for me. Pit boss got the best price at lowes 40 lb for $16.50.
I saw Bear mountain in my local Lowes today and will try those next.

I am in the process of evaluating Kirkland branded pellets for an 8 hour chuck roast cook as we speak. I’ll post the results when it finishes. Right now, I see a significant difference in the amount of smoke compared to the other brands I have used. This is especially apparent since it is pretty hot here in SoCal today and the pellet consumption is less than usual.

Ultimately, the taste will be the final arbiter of success.

• Rec Teq
  • Bear Mountain
  • Camp Chef
  • Jack Daniels
  • Kirkland Premium
  • Kirkland Signature
  • Kingsford
  • Pit Boss Competition
  • Traeger
Lumberjack has the best. Get mine at Farm n Fleet

Lumberjack has the best. Get mine at Farm n Fleet
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

I do not believe that there is a best, whatever works for you is the best for you. Do not get caught up in the well it cost more so it must be the best, not so. Try a few different brands and stick with the one you like.

Sorry for the delayed update. I posted it in another thread. Here is/was my synopsis:

As discussed in an earlier thread, I was doing a trial run on the Kirkland pellets. Before I begin, here’s my disclaimer:

Disclaimer:
I AM a big fan of Costco. I have been a member since 1988 when I signed up at the first Price Club in the state of Arizona. It was in the greater Phoenix area (if I remember correctly) and I would drive from Tucson to Phoenix a couple times a month to take advantage of their great prices and consistent quality. An additional mention is the following information is only my opinion. I am not an expert nor do I have any advanced degrees in “pelletology”. I know what I like and I am an expert on my opinions.

The Prep:
I began with an unopened bag. I scooped out a handful of pellets for an inspection. Overall, a large population were a little longer (about 25%) than the RT Competition Blend, Pit Boss, Traeger, and others I have tried. They were darker in color than the typical pellet and seemed a little more brittle/dryer than usual so they were easily broken with little pressure from my fingers. Their outside diameter was close to “normal”, whatever that means. I am naive enough to think even with my old school Generation-1 auger motor no problems will present themselves. Time will tell. (I read on this site and other places there have been issues with bridging or flameouts, but I don’t know if the pellets were the source of the concerns so to be on the safe side, I stayed at home for monitoring purposes.) As a preventive measure for extra long pellets I used the accelerated “negative G” impact test and dropped the bag on a concrete driveway several times. I don’t know if it broke any of the longer pellets, but it was very satisfying to see the bag take on the impromptu endurance test with not breaks, rips, or tears. Plus one in the win column, Costco. For me, there is nothing more annoying than having to wrestle torn bags of pellets because their contents exceed the bag’s carrying capacity.

The Environment;
Not unlike the start of many seafaring tales that start with “The sea she was angry that day…”. She was pitching the ships against the rocks like they were trapped between the Scylla and Corinth, yada, yada, yada… It was a fairly warm day for SoCal with temps in the low to mid-90’s. The winds were S-SW at about 5-7 mph. I was cooking on pavers and the surface temp of the area was around 115F for most of the cook. I mention this only because my pellet consumption rate was consistent with the other’s I have used leading me to believe at low temps, they are similar. Although it probably doesn’t make a difference, I have the competition cart which may shield some of the thermal energy from the bricks but once you get above 150F I would be surprised if it influences the temps as much as cold air could. During the cook I also took the temp to 260 and then 325 to see if it increased in a manner that was similar to my norm and again, I didn’t notice anything different. Another plus, Costco.

The Cook:
I started with an empty hopper (minus the prior generation’s pellets used for priming). I filled the Bull’s hopper about 1/4th full as I know from experience this was more than enough pellets to complete this simple 6-9 hour cook and wanted to approximate the burn rate for the event. The cook went well. I noticed a great deal of smoke being emitted from the Bull during startup so I actually burped it several times thinking it was excessive but when it reached “cruising altitude” of 225F, I noticed the smoke levels remained consistent which wasnt a bad thing because it reminded me of my old ‘dirty-verty’ vertical, stick burning smoker. As these pellets exceeded the normal amount of “light blue” smoke I quickly recognized just how many leak paths exist on my cooker, lol. The amount of “white” smoke reminded me of the riot mode (e.g., 180-190F smoke output) but cut down by 50%. All temps were well within expectation. The PID controller was singing like a visiting choir on 4th Sunday and the Kirkland pellets did what they were supposed to do keeping up with the harmony like a drummer at a heavy metal concert. The protein (Chuck Roast) was selected for 2 primary reasons. (1) It was cheap in case I screwed the pooch, and (2) the marbling would allow for maximum smoke absorption versus a leaner cut over the initial 4-5 hours of a cook when the meat sucks in smoke like a drunken sailor with a pocket full of money and a case of San Miguel on an R&R in the Philippines. Everything went extremely well and I can’t say I noticed anything unusual during the entire cook. Another plus in the Costco column.

Earlier I wrote about ramping up the temperatures during the cook. I did this for 2 reasons. I wanted to see how the pellets responded to the temp increases (interim stage at ~260F). Further, to wanted to see how consistent they were at higher (~325F) temps to finish off the burnt ends in their final 1.5 hours after the initial ~6 hour cook.

Summary:

For the executive summary, all went well and as expected. I feel the Kirkland pellets will pair well with a fish or pork dish. My tastebud’s (personal perspective) interpretation was there was not a clear/clean path for the flavor profile. I’ve cooked on just about every wood type and blend but using these on cheap beef with a lot of fat to render made me wonder if the wood blends were fighting for my taste bud’s attention. Nothing offensive or off-putting, just a little confusing for the protein I was cooking. I didn’t catch any of the fruit blends and the hickory seemed a little muted except for the distinct smell of the smoke during the cook. In the next week or two I will challenge the pellets with a couple of pork butts and a brisket to see if it was me or the pellets. For now, I give them a thumbs up for value and accolades for holding the temps and keeping the burn rate consistent with other higher quality pellets I have used, another plus for Costco!

I hope to update this post later this week as I will be doing salmon and a roasted chicken if I have time.

Thanks for your patience and please share your experiences, enquiring minds want to know what you think.

‘Zilla

Last edited:
Thanks for a thorough review. I'm giving the Kirkland pellets a test drive today on some beef back ribs I picked up at Costco yesterday. I've been using Lumberjack pellets for the last two years. At $12.99 a bag and also being a big Costco fan, figured Kirkland deserves a look.

• Rec Teq
  • Bear Mountain
  • Camp Chef
  • Jack Daniels
  • Kirkland Premium
  • Kirkland Signature
  • Kingsford
  • Pit Boss Competition
  • Traeger
I use Cookin' Pellets both the "Perfect Mix" and 100% Hickory https://cookinpellets.com/

You can find a "local" dealer here: https://cookinpellets.com/dealers/

If dealers are not handy, Mr. Bezos will happily sell you pellets at a higher price with "Free" prime delivery.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cookin'+pellets&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_8

I have heard good things about Lumber Jack.

I tend to go for 100% flavor wood pellets that don't have a lot of dust. I think the dust is a result of how the pellets are made.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back