Bull Pork shoulder on since 3am and stalling at 196. Wtf?

Thanks. I just took it off at 198 and wrapped it. Looks good and smells good. I'm hungry lol. What method do you guys use? Do you wrap during stall, or crank up the heat, or wrap at stall and leave wrapped until after rested?

I saw your finished pic and it looks like a beauty. Here's my humble opinion: I don't always wrap but when I do I open-up the foil immediately after it reaches my desired temp and gets pulled from the smoker. Then, I let it rest on the countertop for a short span of time. Next, if I'm saving it to serve later I wrap it after the rest and place it in a cooler or whatever and hold it until serving time. Without unwrapping and resting on the counter for a short time it could continue to cook because of the heat being retained and trapped by the wrapping.

Last edited:
Pork is very forgiving when it comes to coming temp. I've heard of guys cooking above 300.
I completely agree you.
How about cooking at 275. I tried that once with the wrap at stall method and leave wrapped until rested. The point is to cook it faster at this temp, waste less pellets, without sacrificing quality. I haven't done it much to really see if it comes out less tender or not. But I know a lot of the pros cook at 275. What do you think?
I've cooked pork pork butts between 275F - 325F in other BBQ cookers and it definitely works. Personally I think it makes it tougher than 225F in my opinion. One thing to remember about professional Pitmasters is they are doing for a living and time is money. Shaving hours off a cook is HUGE for them if they can put out a quality product in less time. We, however have all the time in the world (generally, hahaha). I'm not concerned about wasting pellets on a real long cook, I just try to focus on hitting my proper time that I want it done. Which, works for me.

Looks amazing. Bark looks good! Someone said, each piece of meat is different and its true. There is a "general" guide about how long a cook will take but there are always those odd ones. They usually occur when you have company over and they are ready to eat at 7 and dinner won't be done til 9 :). That's why BBQ an art. ??

How long did you let it rest? did the bone just pull right out? I feel like 203-205 is when the meat starts to fall apart easily. 12lbs should be about a 24hr cook!

. 12lbs should be about a 24hr cook!
I've read Some say 120 mins some say 90 some say 60 per pound. But there's bone weight ( or in or out* ) and other factors like the stall. Most times that internal temp is the best measurement.

Hey....should I leave it on? It's been 16.5 hours already.
I usually see shoulders stall around that temperature and I’ve had it stall for several hours before it begins moving again. I expect my shoulders to run for 20 - 22 hours to hit 205F. At that point I’ll wrap in foil and let it rest for about an hour, then pull it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back