Bull Pork shoulder on since 3am and stalling at 196. Wtf?

What were you wanting to pull at 201-205°?
How big (weight) is it?
What did you have your temp set at?
Give or take, about 2 hrs per pound at 225°

Its 12lbs. I didnt wrap at all. I cranked the heat up a little to power through the 160 stall. I just picked in a few spots. Most is no resistance at all, but there is one part that goes in easy but not "as" easy. I'll pull whenever. Does it sound done? Yes I was at 225.

12pds is a big'n...I'd say you're doing well....You can pull it or crank it up to meet your 201°>. I think it's gonna be damn good. I mean you're so close now what's a little bit more?

When I take it off, should I wrap it in foil and wait till 150, or should I leave it unwrapped and wait till 150? First pic is a few hours ago. Second pic is now.

Attachments

• 20200514_120028.jpg
    20200514_120028.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200514_194407.jpg
    20200514_194407.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 98
You might not like my answer but, I would wrap mine after pulling it and let it rest 2 hrs....
(Atleast a hour....if you're starving)...that's all up to you. It'll be better if you let it rest. Jmo*

You might not like my answer but, I would wrap mine after pulling it and let it rest 2 hrs....
(Atleast a hour....if you're starving)...that's all up to you. It'll be better if you let it rest. Jmo*

I like it lol. I thought it would be done at 3pm-5pm.

It's funny because I usually wrap it at the 160 stall and leave it wrapped until it's done and rested. It comes out tender as heck and juicy but not crispy enough. Then I tried not wrapping it at all like this time, but that was way back a few months, and it was crispy like I like, but a little dry on inside. Maybe the answer is wrap it at 160 stall, then unwrap until done, then wrap again fro resting? Idk.

Yeah every piece of meat is different...so maybe your stall took awhile... But at 225° a 12pounder is gonna take awhile either way...
Post some pics and let us know how it was. I have a feeling it's gonna be damn good. The wrap after the pull should make it real juicy.

Great pics! I did an overnight cook over the weekend, a 9 plus and 11 plus lb Shoulder Picnic.2 hrs a lb is an accurate assessment on the time at 225F. Put them on at 10pm the night before and pulled them after a solid 20 hr cook. I personally like my pork closer to the 195F area generally. But I don't cook for temp I cook to my desired tenderness. I don't wrap as a general rule either. I don't like what it does to my bark. Plus, I'm a lazy BBQ'er......to much work to me = no fun! :)

Thanks. I just took it off at 198 and wrapped it. Looks good and smells good. I'm hungry lol. What method do you guys use? Do you wrap during stall, or crank up the heat, or wrap at stall and leave wrapped until after rested?

I posted this pic already, but this was right before I took it off the smoker.

Attachments

• 20200514_194407.jpg
    20200514_194407.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
I think you should do whatever you like the best.
I've read where they say to wrap ,not to keep the meat juicy, but to stop melting juices from cooling the meat on the outside and therefore cooking quicker.
And then I've also read the opposite where wrapping causes* the internal juices to melt and slow the cook by cooling the inside....
All I can say from personal experience is cooking on the RecTec is different from all other cooker I've used. I haven't wrapped alot since getting mine a year ago.
I wrap after pulling it during the rest, because there's alot of moisture to gain as it steams and breaks down. Plus I love the "wetter style" of Smoked/BBQ'd meats anyway. I'll pour all that meaty goodness right on the plate until meat coma is accomplished !!

Set it at 225F and and forget it. Do the math at 2 hrs a lb to get a decent rough time frame for when you want to eat and let her go! I should've started my last cook at 8pm. Spitz every hour you're awake and dont sweat it. Let your machine do it's job and have fun!

How about cooking at 275. I tried that once with the wrap at stall method and leave wrapped until rested. The point is to cook it faster at this temp, waste less pellets, without sacrificing quality. I haven't done it much to really see if it comes out less tender or not. But I know a lot of the pros cook at 275. What do you think?

I've cooked at 350 till the stall, then dropped to 250, for the remainder. I inject, but it's always come out pretty great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back