Pork Rib BBQ Sauce

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I am forever experimenting with St Louis ribs. Like most of us, I started out using the 3-2-1 method. It's a no-brainer, predictable and the ribs come out great every time. What I was not liking as much is the texture. I wanted a little more bite and a lot less fluid in the wrap

What I am missing when I don't wrap is that very specific flavor you get from the ingredients that go into the wrap with 3-2-1 ribs. So last night I decided to create a barbecue sauce that would taste just like the 3-2-1 rib.

I use Louisiana hot sauce as my binder and RT Honey Rib Rub. For the last half hour of the cook, I brush it with my new barbecue sauce concoction.

Heat 1/4 each of butter, honey, brown sugar and apple juice until everything is dissolved and incorporated. Brush on the front and back of the ribs. I only applied one application.

I get ribs with the bite I like and the flavor I like. A little sweet, a little heat, and a lot of flavor.

@BethV did you do the entire cook unwrapped or just change the ratio of wrapped to unwrapped?

@BethV did you do the entire cook unwrapped or just change the ratio of wrapped to unwrapped?
Unwrapped the whole way. One of the things I've noticed when I was wrapping ribs is that the next day or even after being frozen and reheated, they basically fall off the bone. I don't like that. I know many people strive for that, but it's a personal taste. So not wrapping it gives it the same texture when reheated.

I have also cooked ribs for a long time and started out with the 3-2-1 method. But like Beth said I like a little more bite and not falling off the bone. (Can’t even pick them up with the bone sometimes) I started doing more of a 3.5-1-1. This way you get the bite.

I have also cooked ribs for a long time and started out with the 3-2-1 method. But like Beth said I like a little more bite and not falling off the bone. (Can’t even pick them up with the bone sometimes) I started doing more of a 3.5-1-1. This way you get the bite.
Can you list the 3.5-1-1 rib grilling method unless I missed it someplace? Thanks

Thanks for the info @BethV. I always did ribs unwrapped on my UDS but it’s been different on the Rec Teq and haven’t settled in on a method yet. Always looking for good input.

Basically the same just 3.5 hours @ 225 unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped and 1 hour adding sauce unwrapped

I do 2 1/2, 2, 1, for baby backs at 225. St. Louis spares take a little more time. Sauce I like 1/2 Blues Hog and 1/2 Sweet Baby Ray’s, Love Blues Hog, but it’s pretty sweet.

I am forever experimenting with St Louis ribs. Like most of us, I started out using the 3-2-1 method. It's a no-brainer, predictable and the ribs come out great every time. What I was not liking as much is the texture. I wanted a little more bite and a lot less fluid in the wrap

What I am missing when I don't wrap is that very specific flavor you get from the ingredients that go into the wrap with 3-2-1 ribs. So last night I decided to create a barbecue sauce that would taste just like the 3-2-1 rib.

I use Louisiana hot sauce as my binder and RT Honey Rib Rub. For the last half hour of the cook, I brush it with my new barbecue sauce concoction.

Heat 1/4 each of butter, honey, brown sugar and apple juice until everything is dissolved and incorporated. Brush on the front and back of the ribs. I only applied one application.

I get ribs with the bite I like and the flavor I like. A little sweet, a little heat, and a lot of flavor.
I'm using a combination of Sweet Baby Ray, RT spicy gourmet BBQ (vinegar type), apricot jelly, a little brown sugar and some Worcestershire. Rub is RT screaming pig. Sweet w' a bite.

I too have started to drop the amount of time that I wrap my ribs. I've found that 2 hours causes them to fall off the bone, and it gets to be a mess when slicing. I now only wrap them for an hour in foil so that have a slight bite off the bone.

I've also started experimenting with sauces, and what a difference it makes. Last weekend I did a BBQ + habanero + pineapple sauce that was out of this world.

I've always used a rub on my ribs but next time I think I'm going to try a straight salt and pepper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back