Stampede Prime Rib / Pork Butt question

doolittlesmokin

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
New Recteq owner, thoroughly enjoyed my first couple of weeks of cooking. I have already smoked a prime rib and a pork butt that the family loved. Is there any reason that I can’t smoke both at the same time on 300 - 325 degrees? I know the pork butt will take much longer, but can I start them together and just pull the PR once it reaches temp?

New Recteq owner, thoroughly enjoyed my first couple of weeks of cooking. I have already smoked a prime rib and a pork butt that the family loved. Is there any reason that I can’t smoke both at the same time on 300 - 325 degrees? I know the pork butt will take much longer, but can I start them together and just pull the PR once it reaches temp?

Yes you can do both at the same time. At temps that high you won’t get much smoke flavor on a pellet grill but if that’s OK with you there isn’t anything that would prevent you from doing it. I used to do pork butts on my drum smoker at 300 but got the smoke flavor I wanted from wood chunks.

I've done multiple meats several times and it works fine. I was always running at lower temperatures, but it shouldn't make much difference as long as you are monitoring internal temp of both and pulling when one is ready before the other. The alternative is to start one before the other and hope to finish at close to the same time. That's what I did with a 21 pound pork shoulder and an almost 18 pound brisket. I started the pork three hours before dropping in the brisket.

IMG_1030.jpeg

First, welcome to the forum; we’re glad to have you here.

As for doing two different proteins at the same time, there should not be a problem. That said, as others have pointed out, trying to do a slow-cook and a fast-cook at the same time could be problematic. And, as has also been said, you will not get much smoke flavor at higher temps.

I’ve done prime rib a number of times (not concurrently with a pork butt, however) and started it at 180-200F for an hour or more to get some smoke flavor, and then bumped the temp up to 300-350F to finish the cook. We like our prime rib medium rare, so I pull at 130-135F and allow for a 1-hour rest to bring it to 140F internal temp.

This brings me to one of my favorite techniques; resting the protein. And, in the case of cooking two different proteins, “resting” can make life a lot simpler. If I were cooking a pork butt and a prime rib to be served at the same meal, I’d start a low-and-slow cook (225F) on the butt early and plan for that cook to finish 2-4 hours before serving time. A 4-hour rest wrapped in a big towel and placed in an insulated “cooler” will just improve the pulled pork IMO.

I am usually able to cook a medium-sized prime rib in about 4 hours, including an hour or so at 180-200F for a decent smoke flavor. About an hour before the butt is scheduled to finish, I’d drop the grill temp to 200F and put the prime rib in alongside. Reducing the temp a little for an hour won’t hurt the butt and the PR will get an hour or so of smoke, As soon as the butt reaches my desired internal temp, I’d pull it and put it in the cooler for a nap. Then, I’d Increase my grill temp to 325-350F and cook the PR to 130-135F internal temp.

When the PR is done, I’d pull it and put it in the cooler for a nap while I remove the butt and do the shredding. Once shredded, I’d put the pork in the oven at the warm setting while I sliced the PR. I would coordinate the side dish production with my Sous chef (aka wife) so that when the protein is ready to hit the table, the sides are also ready.

Multiple protein cooks can be a little challenging, but with a little planning they can be done without too much trouble. And, if you are also responsible for the sides, you’ll have plenty of time during the protein cooks and rests (naps) to handle that too. Scheduling/timing is a part of learning to cook.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes you can do both at the same time. At temps that high you won’t get much smoke flavor on a pellet grill but if that’s OK with you there isn’t anything that would prevent you from doing it. I used to do pork butts on my drum smoker at 300 but got the smoke flavor I wanted from wood chunks.
Do you think he could could get a little smoke flavor using a smoke tube and chips?

Do you think he could could get a little smoke flavor using a smoke tube and chips?
Probably some more but it still won’t be the same as cooking it lower and getting that smoker smoke. It may be enough for him though. Smoke is very subjective.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back