Pork Frenched Rib Rack cooking suggestions

sdynak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I have this I'm thinking about for Saturday. New territory for me and don't want to mess it up.

Any suggestions? Low & slow? Hot & Fast? Reverse Sear with flamethrower ending?

Figured I would use one of my pork style RecTeq rubs at least.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1868.jpeg

Ooh, one of my favorites. I just rub mine and smoke it at 225º to an internal of 140º-145º (4-5 hrs) then put some BBQ sauce on it and cook until it caramelizes then rest it for 15 min and serve. I love this cut of meat.

Ooh, one of my favorites. I just rub mine and smoke it at 225º to an internal of 140º-145º (4-5 hrs) then put some BBQ sauce on it and cook until it caramelizes then rest it for 15 min and serve. I love this cut of meat.

Thanks! Agree... this cut is just begging for a smoky cook :)

Not exactly the same, but I did a crown pork roast for Christmas one year as I had 25 people coming for dinner (never again!). I brined the whole thing in an ice chest for at least 24 hours. I would much prefer smoking on something like this, but I might still brine it.

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Not exactly the same, but I did a crown pork roast for Christmas one year as I had 25 people coming for dinner (never again!). I brined the whole thing in an ice chest for at least 24 hours. I would much prefer smoking on something like this, but I might still brine it.

Looking forward to hearing the results.

Thanks.. think I'm gonna take the easy way out and smoke her this round :)

I think the procedure suggested by @Thor8594 is a great place to start. In order to get this right, however; I think it would be wise to have a tasting committee evaluate the result. You can feel free to put my name on the committee list. ;)

Signed you up! (y)

Wow... just purchased the same cut from the same place, and have the same question!

Talk to me...

Here are some pics..

Went for 225 for about 4 hrs then cranked to almost 500 for a few to get some light sear.

Injected butter with Uncle Chris steak seasoning & also seasoned the outside with the same as well as the veggies.

The ends were a little tough but the inner pieces were a better. Overall it was good tasting. I do wonder if a fast & hot cook would make it more tender or a brine as suggested.

IMG_1876.jpeg
IMG_1878.jpeg
IMG_1886.jpeg
IMG_1888.jpeg
IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1885.jpeg

I just did the same type roast, but brined it in my Canadian bacon brine for 2 days first. Cooked at 225° until an IT of 135 then foiled it for another hour. What a treat.

I just did the same type roast, but brined it in my Canadian bacon brine for 2 days first. Cooked at 225° until an IT of 135 then foiled it for another hour. What a treat.

Nice! Think if so do it again I’ll try the brine. Not sure which but seems like a good idea.

So I have this I'm thinking about for Saturday. New territory for me and don't want to mess it up.

Any suggestions? Low & slow? Hot & Fast? Reverse Sear with flamethrower ending?

Figured I would use one of my pork style RecTeq rubs at least.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 15502
Low and slow with your favorite rum then finish at 300= for a little crust. Oh one other thing better cook two your family will love it.

I made one over the weekend that I was very happy with.

After trimming I injected it with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and normal pork spices. I sliced into the top like you would for a pork butt so that the rub would work its way into the meat. I used a honey mustard sauce for a binder, figured what the hell since they say you do not taste it and thoroughly rubbed it down with Dean Bros Little Piggy Pork seasoning and brown sugar. I then put in back in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to let the seasonings absorb.

I cooked it on an open rack at 225 using a mixture of apple and hickory pellets
IMG_2865.jpg
until the temp hit about 105. I then put it in a foil pan put butter and some more brown sugar on top and took it to 145. Wrapped it in foil with all the dripping and let it rest for about an hour in a cooler. It came out excellent. I will never cook pork chops any other way.
IMG_2866.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_2872.jpg

Learn something every day. Never heard of a Frenched Rib Rack but it looks good enough to get me to try Wild Fork.

I made one over the weekend that I was very happy with.

After trimming I injected it with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and normal pork spices. I sliced into the top like you would for a pork butt so that the rub would work its way into the meat. I used a honey mustard sauce for a binder, figured what the hell since they say you do not taste it and thoroughly rubbed it down with Dean Bros Little Piggy Pork seasoning and brown sugar. I then put in back in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to let the seasonings absorb.

I cooked it on an open rack at 225 using a mixture of apple and hickory pelletsView attachment 15548 until the temp hit about 105. I then put it in a foil pan put butter and some more brown sugar on top and took it to 145. Wrapped it in foil with all the dripping and let it rest for about an hour in a cooler. It came out excellent. I will never cook pork chops any other way. View attachment 15549View attachment 15550View attachment 15551

Looks great :love:

I really need to remember to do those cross cuts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back