Bull Pork Butts - Overnight?

whta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
OK, new to the Bull (2 cooks), but not to smoking. Going to do 2 Butts (maybe 3) this weekend, and I am thinking of doing them overnight tonight. Here are some of my questions/thoughts/concerns.

1) Do I need to (or can I) add a water pan? If so, how high can it be to still fit between the grate and the drip pan? Do you prop up the right side to keep it level? Seems like when I did the Ribs, they were a little dry.

2) If it's overnight, I won't be able to spritz, what do others do - just no spritzing?

3) I "plan" on injecting, most likely Apple Juice / Apple Cider mix. However, had a thought, since we will most likely do at least one as pulled with Mojo, has anyone injected with Mojo? The only concern is what effect if any, the citric acid will have on the meat for all that time. Sort of like pineapple and chicken - never cook the 2 next to each other on a kabob.

4) How often should I clean out the firebox? As I mentioned, I've only done 2 cooks - initial chicken thighs and baby backs - a total of about 8 - 9 hours combined + the 1-hour burn-in.

5) Smoke tube - should I use the low setting for about an hour or 2, then bring in the smoke tube and bump it to 225, or start right out with it going??

Looking at some previous posts, the dryness did not appear to be an issue, but I'm afraid once I go to sleep, I won't wake up till about 6 hours later...

I inject mine, and put them on the smoker at 11:00 pm at 180 until they reach 145-150 which is usually around 6-7:00 am. Then I turn it up to 225 and start spritzing. I don't like spritzing before the rub gets a chance to really set in.

In the past I’ve put a water pan on the grate, but never tried to put one under the grate. I’ve stopped using a pan altogether and don’t miss it. I cook butts at 225° at usually start spritzing 5-6 hours into the cook. I don’t use a smoke tube anymore, but when I did I put it in at the start of the cook. No advice on the Mojo, clean the fire pot every time you clean the drip pan. Also, if you are doing 3 butts overnight, don’t sleep in too late or you may find an overflowing grease bucket.

1) Do I need to (or can I) add a water pan? If so, how high can it be to still fit between the grate and the drip pan? Do you prop up the right side to keep it level? Seems like when I did the Ribs, they were a little dry.

2) If it's overnight, I won't be able to spritz, what do others do - just no spritzing?

3) I "plan" on injecting, most likely Apple Juice / Apple Cider mix. However, had a thought, since we will most likely do at least one as pulled with Mojo, has anyone injected with Mojo? The only concern is what effect if any, the citric acid will have on the meat for all that time. Sort of like pineapple and chicken - never cook the 2 next to each other on a kabob.

4) How often should I clean out the firebox? As I mentioned, I've only done 2 cooks - initial chicken thighs and baby backs - a total of about 8 - 9 hours combined + the 1-hour burn-in.

5) Smoke tube - should I use the low setting for about an hour or 2, then bring in the smoke tube and bump it to 225, or start right out with it going??
1) I have never added a water pan. And when I asked about it on Recteq Funday Friday the response was that a water pan is not recommended or needed.

2) I cooked overnight at 200 degrees and did not spritz until the next morning. Bump up the temperature to 225 when I woke up in the morning. Spritzing too early can wash off some of the rub and slow down the bark being produced.

3) I did 2 at the same time. Injected 1 and did not inject the other. The injected butt took about 2 hours longer to reach the temperature I wanted. No one could tell a difference in juiciness but the injected one did have a little more pineapple flavor as I injected with pineapple juice and rub mixed.

4) Recommended is every 4 - 5 cooks for cleaning the firepot. Once or twice during the year for cleaning out ash from the barrel. The ash actually acts as an insulator and provides better heat retention.

5) I have never used a smoke tube, but hear they work. I just put some cherry chips on top of the heat deflector and could definitely taste the cherry smoke flavor.

I cook overnight frequently. For pork butts overnight I usually just go 225 for the whole cook.

I inject with different things. I've done the apple juice/cider + a little low sodium soy sauce. I've done a seasoned orange juice injection as well. Not Mojo per se.

I've never used a water pan in my Recteq. I have used a sheet pan with a wire rack for some cooks to collect the juices.

I've sacrificed spritzing in favor of sleep. I spritz if I'm awake.

I usually clean everything before and after long cooks, particularly if I'm cooking overnight to avoid surprises. Otherwise, I usually assess how messy the grill and drip pan are and clean everything at that time. Cleaning everything takes me about 5 minutes so it's not a big deal.

I have used a smoke tube a number of times, but it's usually if I'm trying to add a distinct flavor like peach, mesquite, hickory, etc. I use wood chunks chopped down to barely fit in the smoke tube and pack with pellets to maintain continuity. I let the smoke tube burn for about 10 minutes and then put it in at the beginning of the cook. With the wood chunks it seems like I get several hours of added smoke.

@Greg Jones is right about minding the grease bucket on bigger cooks. I've never had an issue with pork butts, but did overflow with three racks of beef plate (Dino) ribs.

OK, new to the Bull (2 cooks), but not to smoking. Going to do 2 Butts (maybe 3) this weekend, and I am thinking of doing them overnight tonight. Here are some of my questions/thoughts/concerns.

Looking at some previous posts, the dryness did not appear to be an issue, but I'm afraid once I go to sleep, I won't wake up till about 6 hours later...
I’ve done about a dozen butts now and I have never used a water pan. I do brine mine for 24 before I cook instead of injecting. I use a 2 1/2gal ziploc bag and place it in a pot in the fridge to assure it is covered completely. I have 2 layers of foil on my deflector plate and I use a foil cookie sheet to collect the majority of the fat drip. I do clean my 590 every other cook and replace foil and the pan below. I vac out the dust in the barrel and the fire pot, trying not to remove too many pellets in the auger. The foil cookie sheets are cheap and I just throw them away when I clean. I use a smoke tube most of the time from the start. I like the smoke flavor. I spritz after the rub has set a few hours into the cook. Just my 2 cents.

7A472CFB-D158-42B1-9D72-7412262CC275.jpeg

Like many others, I usually do long cooks such as pork butts and briskets on a rack raised over a pan with water or broth.
A couple weeks ago I decided to try something different and used the Mojo criollo marinade on a full packer brisket overnight, using a large turkey brining bag. Didn't inject but just marinated with Mojo, some oil and spices. Admittedly didn't get much of that Mojo flavor, but it might have been my best brisket yet. Very juicy and delicious!

Great question! The good news is that pineapple and citrus are like comparing pineapples and oranges (insert cheesy drum sound here).

Anyway, pineapple has fruit bromelain (a protease enzyme) which breaks protein bonds and essentially tenderizes meat. But it can also turn meat into mush if left on too long or heated at certain temps.

Citric acid, (found in citrus juices) on the other hand, is an acid that will uncoil (denature) the proteins, similar to cooking (think ceviche). If the concentration is high enough, it’ll act like a brine or marinade that uses a lot of vinegar (Hey Grill Hey’s Cider Brined Pulled Pork brine comes to mind), and it’ll give it a different texture. You can always try injecting your mojo blend on a small area and see if you like it 🙂.

It's my understanding that pineapple juice that has been Pasteurized effectively renders inert that tenderizing quality. Anyone know?

It's my understanding that pineapple juice that has been Pasteurized effectively renders inert that tenderizing quality. Anyone know?
Yes, heating the entirety of the pineapple chunk or juice to an internal temp above 140 F deactivates the enzyme. It’s only with fresh pineapple or fresh pineapple juice that you can have the tenderizing phenomenon. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Edit: Apparently, my old Biochem textbook is outdated 🤣. I just found a new study that found that 176 F for 8 minutes may be necessary to deactivate fruit bromelain in some pineapples, just in case you have any DIY plans.

Last edited:
I like to keep my RT pellet grill pretty clean. I brush away any flakey black soot, clean the grates, new foil on the drip/drain tray, and vacuum out the bottom of the barrel and fire pot. I do this after any cook longer than a couple hours. Sometimes, I don't change the foil if it's not all that dirty. Just a wipe with a paper towel to get the grease puddles down the chute. If I've cooked fish, I clean it all up, grates, new foil, wipe up any fish oil on the grate ledges, etc.

Whenever I cook pork butt I ensure the grill has a clean fire pot and the grease bucket is not going to overflow. Never a water pan.

The "smoking" temperature range of these pellet grills is below about 275F, with more smoke, the lower you go.

Smoke tubes and running very low for more smoke is very subjective. Some people have gotten rid of pellet grills because they love a heavy smoke flavor. I came from stick burners and komados and had that opinion for quite a while. I've since come to prefer a lighter, cleaner flavor where smoke is not the predominant flavor in the meat. Therefore, I don't use a smoke tube anymore. If you love the heavy smoke flavor, you might like the smoke tube (maybe more than one, and/or a chunk of wood on the deflector) and running at 180F for a couple hours before ramping up to 225-250F.

Since we buy our Pork Butts from Costco, they come cut and de-boned
I take and continue that Cut, basically "Butterfly" them
This allows for more Bark
Season for 24 hours with a simple mix of: ground Dehydrated Garlic and Onion, Pepper and Salt
Our RUB.JPG

Cook them for 10 hours on "LO":
Easter Butts 1.jpeg

Pull and wrap them with a good spritze of 50-50 ACV and Water, back in at 250 until a 200 internal
Comes-out like this:
Easter Butts 2.jpeg

Easter Butts 3.jpeg

Easter Butts 4.jpeg

Easter Butts 6.jpeg

Easter Butts 5.jpeg

Easter Butts 7.jpeg

I come from the GA 4th of July BBQ tradition where the “smoker” was a cinder block long sided “U” covered with sheet metal. The smoke from the hickory splits was controlled by how much the metal was slid back to make a smoke hole. 20 - 30 butts put on grates, fire damped down, then the waiting and storytelling began.

No injection, no brine, just abut 14 hrs of smoke.

Hush puppies, Brunswick stew and cole slaw to keep pork company.

Jumping forward a number of decades, I tend to dry brine overnight, put on rub, rt590 on low with smoke tube for 2hrs, then 225 until internal 203 or so. I’m of the “If you’re looking’ you’re not cooking’” philosophy.

I have wrapped and not wrapped with butcher paper, it prefer no rap.

I do swap butts left to right about mid cook due to RT 590 being hotter on the right.

Not my Grandad’s July 4th BBQ but close.

Fully understood. My take on this is a pellet grill gives me 80% of the results with 20% of the effort. .At where I am with my life journey, I’m OK with that.

I'd go so far as to say; we can get results better than 80% of the bbq joints, with 20% less (or is it more?;)) cost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPBrew
Back