Bull Overnight Pork Butts

Dr.Floyd

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am cooking 2 9-10lb pork butts tonight. I'm thinking starting at extreme smoke for 1 hour then bumping up to 225 overnight. Rubbed on Dijon mustard, molasses, and Bad Byron's Butt Rub. No wrapping at all unless it is 165 degrees when I wake up in the morning. If that is the case, I may wrap in peach paper.

Attachments

• 20220623_171017.gif
    20220623_171017.gif
    878.3 KB · Views: 631
Sounds like a good plan, although I use the cheapest yellow mustard I can find. It’s not like you are going to taste the Dijon on the pulled pork.
I was thinking the same thing. The Dijon was a recommendation in a Recteq Lunch Break and it was the same price as regular yellow mustard at Save A Lot.

I think you have a winning idea. As suggestion, put aluminum serving trays under the butts to capture any juices that try to escape. To keep them from drying out, add a cup of apple juice. The humidity will It will keep the air temps stable and result in fewer pellets being used. You can then use the tray’s contents for basting during the pre-wrap cook.

By the way. Since you are doing 2. Are you going to inject one and leave the other alone to see which one you prefer?

By the way. Since you are doing 2. Are you going to inject one and leave the other alone to see which one you prefer?

I did inject 1 with pineapple juice and rub. The other was not injected. I do have a pan under the grates and a small pan of water on the grates. I will probably spritz with apple juice in the morning.

That is logical since the injected carries a lot more moisture. I hope all is going well. If you aren’t pressed for time let it rest for at least 2 hours or, until it comes down to around 140 degrees (typical serving temperature) and it will absorb some of the juices. Make sure you place it fat cap up for the rest. You can also start making your cole slaw and vinegar/apple juice spritz ready for the un-injected butt. The injected may not need anything other than a light spritzing of apple cider vinegar to taste. Never rely on any recipe for that part because there is a very thin line between great pulled pork and stinky pulled pork in my opinion. Especially with small batch production levels.

Smoke for about 6 to 7 hours @ 235 and finish in the oven at same temp uncovered in an aluminum pan, save the juices and mix in with the meat..........PERFECTION. Meat isn't gonna take any more smoke in after that timeframe, so stick it in the oven and save the pellets.

Here is the results. Pulled had no injection and had a good bark, smoke flavor, and was juicy. Non pulled is still resting, but should be just as good. Jalapeño pineapple Cole slaw has been melding for about 3 hours in fridge. Should be a great dinner! But now a dip in the pool with a frosty beverage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624-134728_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624-134728_Gallery.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back