BFG A dozen Pork Butts

rhouser

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
Had a dozen Costco Boneless Pork Butts to do. First Butts on the 2500.

First step with Costco Boneless Butts was/is to truss the butts so they don't fall open during the cook. Kind of a pain, but not too hard. For the record, just seasoned them with Kinder's Original (SPG) and Dizzy Dust course grind (Dizzy Pig). Nothing fancy.

12 butts laid down nicely on the base grates and one sliding grate in the middle position. No surprises, No drama.

Started at 210 degrees at 7pm on Friday Night. Did three wake up checks with no drama or issues.

Rains came in about 10:30pm, but were forecast so I was ready for that. I set up using the rain techniques suggested on this forum. Foil Rain Hats for the grease buckets, a sheet pan face down over the control box with a brick on it, the extension cord to grill connection tucked up under the grill on the shelf with drip loop, and finally, a foil cap over the entire pellet hopper A separate bucket measured the total rainfall at about 1.5" by morning. The BFG had no rain issues.

At 5:30 am I bumped the temp to 250 and let it ride. I did a grease bucket dump at 10:30 am resisting my urge to open the grill and see what was happening. I had the two recteq probes plus 4 signals probes emplaced so fully half the meat was being actively monitored.

At 12:30pm Saturday, the smallest of the butts (3 of them) were pulled an put into a covered foil pan. Over the next hour 6 more finished and were panned. By 2:15pm they were all off and in foil covered aluminum pans. I covered the entire set with a couple of beach towels and let them sit till 4 pm.

The point of all this is to confirm the the BFG will do 100 pounds of pork butts with zero drama. The butts had great color, good bark, and pulled perfectly, Everyone who ate them claimed "best ever" but they always do that. :)

The BFG did fine with a pretty substantial rain, but I was lucky that the rain passed before "pulling the meat" time. The total cook time was right at 19 hours but this could easily be pushed up (shortened) by increasing the night span temps up to 225 or even running the whole thing at 250. With pork butts I have gone as high as 275 if needed to push a stubborn butt out of stall.

In my honest opinion, the RT-2500 is absolutely living up to the factory hype. I could have easily added 6 more butts with the 3rd rack placed. I would have needed my "on top of the sliders" to clear the rub and bark on the trussed butts, but that is not hard. All in all, a great cook with zero drama.

v/r r

F

Had a dozen Costco Boneless Pork Butts to do. First Butts on the 2500.

First step with Costco Boneless Butts was/is to truss the butts so they don't fall open during the cook. Kind of a pain, but not too hard. For the record, just seasoned them with Kinder's Original (SPG) and Dizzy Dust course grind (Dizzy Pig). Nothing fancy.

12 butts laid down nicely on the base grates and one sliding grate in the middle position. No surprises, No drama.

Started at 210 degrees at 7pm on Friday Night. Did three wake up checks with no drama or issues.

Rains came in about 10:30pm, but were forecast so I was ready for that. I set up using the rain techniques suggested on this forum. Foil Rain Hats for the grease buckets, a sheet pan face down over the control box with a brick on it, the extension cord to grill connection tucked up under the grill on the shelf with drip loop, and finally, a foil cap over the entire pellet hopper A separate bucket measured the total rainfall at about 1.5" by morning. The BFG had no rain issues.

At 5:30 am I bumped the temp to 250 and let it ride. I did a grease bucket dump at 10:30 am resisting my urge to open the grill and see what was happening. I had the two recteq probes plus 4 signals probes emplaced so fully half the meat was being actively monitored.

At 12:30pm Saturday, the smallest of the butts (3 of them) were pulled an put into a covered foil pan. Over the next hour 6 more finished and were panned. By 2:15pm they were all off and in foil covered aluminum pans. I covered the entire set with a couple of beach towels and let them sit till 4 pm.

The point of all this is to confirm the the BFG will do 100 pounds of pork butts with zero drama. The butts had great color, good bark, and pulled perfectly, Everyone who ate them claimed "best ever" but they always do that. :)

The BFG did fine with a pretty substantial rain, but I was lucky that the rain passed before "pulling the meat" time. The total cook time was right at 19 hours but this could easily be pushed up (shortened) by increasing the night span temps up to 225 or even running the whole thing at 250. With pork butts I have gone as high as 275 if needed to push a stubborn butt out of stall.

In my honest opinion, the RT-2500 is absolutely living up to the factory hype. I could have easily added 6 more butts with the 3rd rack placed. I would have needed my "on top of the sliders" to clear the rub and bark on the trussed butts, but that is not hard. All in all, a great cook with zero drama.

v/r r

F
I agree some times one must deal with a stubborn butt🤣🤣

Sounds like you can feed the masses with that dude and set it and forget it (almost) fashion. Smoke on!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WiFiGuru
Back