Stampede Pork butt

Traveler

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just did an overnight butt and now it’s sitting in the cooler resting. Everything went well and the 590 was rock steady with the temps. It did overshoot whenever I opened the lid as expected but then settled back down quickly. The app is pretty good but was a bit annoying with all the warnings while I’m trying to sleep. For instance, I set the probe alarm at 160 so I can wrap the butt. When it got close to that temp, I would get all these msgs about being close to temp. I just want to know when it’s at temp since I was sleeping and don’t need all the msgs about being close to temp. Other than that it was a lot easier using the 590 than the Kamado. I’ll see how the actual bbq turned out later tonight.

It's funny about the app. It's one of those "be careful what you wish for. When I got my RT, about 18 months ago, that version of the app had problems with alerts and that was always a discussion on this forum. Then the app got updated to what we have now and I agree the alerts can be a little annoying, especially when you are trying to get back to sleep in the morning.

Here’s how mine came out-first time cooking a butt on the RT-340. This is also the first time I have never wrapped the butt during the cook. Started it at 22:00 last night and took it off this morning at 09;00, exactly 11 hours later. Beautifully probe tender, 202*, now wrapped in foil and a towel and in the cooler for 3 hours. The flavor is absolutely fantastic and the bark is perfect-I may never wrap a butt during the cook again. Used Lumber Jack 100% Hickory in the hopper, 100% Cherry in the smoke tube, set to 220* for the entire cook.

F21D3EC7-C598-4D0F-B696-BE445A6EB4EF.jpeg

@Greg Jones once I smoked a butt unwrapped I never went back. Couldn’t be an easier cook. And man that bark....🤪 Watching that unwrap video has got me thinking a trip to the butcher is in order.

I've got a pork butt/shoulder on now, 8hrs in and pushing through the stall unwrapped.
Smoked 3 hours at 220 then 250 from that point on.

20210320_103758.jpg

9AM

20210320_181932.jpg

6:30PM and 185°
Using Lumberjack Hickory as well

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back