Bull Pork butt times per pound. Your experience.

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
This is not a complaint post, and I realise every piece of meat is different. But, the 2 hrs per pd. Average doesn't ever seem to be close for me. I prefer the low and slow at about 225° instead of the hot and fast method. I've wrapped, not wrapped and haven't seen a big difference in time of cook.
I usually do a temp turn up near the end to get above 200° IT. Or try the ole probe tender deal... But again, just wondering what you guys have been experiencing over the years RecTeq wise, in low n slow per pound?..
(approx)...thanks.
P.s. the pork is always delicious and usually tender. Just not with in "the norm"? Time frame...lol

my last butts took 1hr 45min per lb at 225 without spritzing or looking. how long does yours average?
I usually plan on 2hrs per pound at 225°... It always exceeds that...
Currently have a 10# on...
Has been on 20hrs...and is at 174IT... Put it up to 275° the last 3 hrs... I've been anal about calibrating everything- the grill and temps are correct... And like I say, I'm not really caring if it goes longer. Im just curious if others are finding longer than "projected" times. For all I know if could be the specific herd my butcher gets his meat from ??..haha

I've never had a butt go any longer than 1.5hr per pound at 225°. I was actually talking to a guy at work today who said he had a 8lb take 19hrs this past weekend. So I must just be lucky when grabbing butts and get ones that finish quick?

I’ve had a few go 2 hrs +/- per pound. Now I put butts on the night before, run it at 220-225 overnight then turn it up to 250 in the morning. That bump to 250 seems to move things along better without being too hot.

I did just did the big Costco 13 lb pack today. I put it on at 180 extreme smoke last night at 10pm. Woke up to it about 150 degrees at 8am. Around 10am it was at 160 degrees internal. I wrapped it and set it to 225. It was done cooking around 2:30pm. I put it in the cooler with some towels until I ate dinner around 5pm. It was awesome and still hot!

My thought process was I didn't want to rush it and I figured it would be done sometime in the afternoon. I would rather it be done early and let it stand than have it late and have my family pissed dinner was super late/not ready.

58D8A115-534B-439C-836B-4218F4269849.jpeg
62233A35-6721-4662-930D-D2008C151D6D.jpeg

6321C4A7-B5A3-491C-B7EA-964E73BF8622.jpeg

Mooncusser is right; meat can't tell time. I cooked a 9.5 lb pork butt this past Friday (and Saturday) on my 700 at 225 degrees. I wrapped it in peach paper when it stalled at 155 degrees and total cook time was 18 hrs. Fortunately, I had planned for 16 hrs so I had to reduce the rest time a bit but it turned out great.

Too many factors to consider my guy. Spritzing or no? Water pan? Ambient temp and humidity? Etc.
Meat is done when it’s done. When I do butts I anticipate 2.5 hours in the cool in calculating my time. If I go over on the cook I have about 1.75 hour buffer. It’s gotta sit in the cooler for at least 45min

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back