Please DON'T read unless you're seated!

Just picked one up at Sam's in FL for $3.28/lb. Will be my first attempt at brisket.
20210205_130746.jpg

$9.99 lb? Some dummy will pay it. I picked up a USDA Choice at Kroger for $1.99 lb yesterday in Middle Tennessee.

I have mentioned high meat prices before but this is absolutely insane. This is definitely going to slow my smoke experimentation days:

View attachment 8457
That’s insane!

This isn’t USDA Prime but if you have a Kroger near you it’s worth it.

Attachments

• 331D89E9-D1E8-4D5D-9908-3B552EDBD430.jpeg
    331D89E9-D1E8-4D5D-9908-3B552EDBD430.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 124
That’s insane!

This isn’t USDA Prime but if you have a Kroger near you it’s worth it.
Thank you for the information. I have never shopped at Kroger but will make it a point (not flat) to check it out. Great brisket price!

I checked Sam's yesterday and all they had were the Black Angus Choice. You have better prices and choices for sure.
At our Sam's the prime meats are found in a separate case, not close to the Angus beef. You might try asking the butcher. I just noticed in your OP that the label says "trimmed". Could that account for the price if you're not paying for several lbs of waste?

I have mentioned high meat prices before but this is absolutely insane. This is definitely going to slow my smoke experimentation days:

View attachment 8457
I only buy brisket from Costco when they have it for less than $3.00 lb. Yesterday I bought a choice from a local restaurant supply store for $2.58 lb.

With my sons discount from his grocery store (H‑E‑B), which is one of the largest employers in Texas, I pay $6.29 per pound for Wagyu black grade brisket that is normally priced at $6.99 lb to all shoppers.

I pay the extra price for Wagyu because my family & I enjoy the incredible meat flavors and how super tender each and every time it comes out. We only need a fork to eat it after I cut it into slices carefully. The packaging shows it comes from Snake River Farms here in the US.

Again, paying what I pay is not for everyone, but as long as I can afford it, that’s what I buy. And yes, we’ve have cheaper PRIME grade briskets many times but always come back to Wagyu. To the OP, that price must have been a mistake as I can find PRIME brisket here for $2.79 to $3.99 lb all day, every day or maybe you live where beef prices are the highest based on that label 😁

With my sons discount from his grocery store (H‑E‑B), which is one of the largest employers in Texas, I pay $6.29 per pound for Wagyu black grade brisket that is normally priced at $6.99 lb to all shoppers.

I pay the extra price for Wagyu because my family & I enjoy the incredible meat flavors and how super tender each and every time it comes out. We only need a fork to eat it after I cut it into slices carefully. The packaging shows it comes from Snake River Farms here in the US.

Again, paying what I pay is not for everyone, but as long as I can afford it, that’s what I buy. And yes, we’ve have cheaper PRIME grade briskets many times but always come back to Wagyu. To the OP, that price must have been a mistake as I can find PRIME brisket here for $2.79 to $3.99 lb all day, every day or maybe you live where beef prices are the highest based on that label 😁
Thanks for sharing. I’m definitely a quality over quantity person. I’ll be on the look out for the Wagyu. Never came across it at my local chain grocery store, might have to check out the butcher shop.

View attachment 8457
I just bought a 15lb prime brisket at Costco for 44.00 on the smoker now. It’s has to be the region your living in I’m in tennessee

At our Sam's the prime meats are found in a separate case, not close to the Angus beef. You might try asking the butcher. I just noticed in your OP that the label says "trimmed". Could that account for the price if you're not paying for several lbs of waste?
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I can buy whole packers UNTRIMMED for $2.70 and TRIMMED for $8.50 almost all year long (North Carolina). Often flat only when trimmed but have seen whole packer a few times.

Why pay $7/lb more to save thirty minutes of mostly-enjoyable and relaxing work of trimming the fat (at least it is for me)!

Just an FYI, check Costco, the one near me in Dallas has American Wagyu Briskets for $5.99lb.
I'm assuming what you're looking at is also American Wagyu

azzdu77kqvb1.jpeg

Prices seem to fluctuate, Southlake is also near me and they are $1.00 less than Dallas

I live in Aleandria, Va prices seem to be higher in this area.
Everything is more expensive there. LOL.
You can buy Snake River Wagu for that price. I just wish my butcher could get prime - all they carry lately is choice.

Let it rot right where it is. Kroger here (TN) has brisket on sale for $1.99 per lb. right now.

I'm not sure... I will look closer next time when the sticker shock wears off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back